Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question CS5 Placing an ia file wthin another ai file as a linked file> No Snapping

I noticed that when I placed an illustrator file within another as a linked file, that I can not snap to any of the objects within the linked file.

Is there way to change this behavior?
    IP

Default Re: CS5 Placing an ia file wthin another ai file as a linked file> No Snapping

Is that using the Place command and then through the links panel link the graphic? Cos if I do that this way I have no problem. Why are you linking them is it for a biz card, if you update one it updates the rest.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Default Re: CS5 Placing an ia file wthin another ai file as a linked file> No Snapping

The project is not as a simple as business card , but a Map series based upon one common greographical area.

I used Open > Place. In the Place dialog, I checked the Link box.

I wanted to place a graphic to serve as a basis for a series of illustrations which contains elements that are common to all. When "placed", it is put on the artboard and on its own layer; duplicate artboards with the linked master are made as needed.

Then on other layers, I wanted to draw the unique elements. Those elements need to be drawn with precision, relative to the elements of the linked "master" graphic; therefore, I need the snapping capability.

I need to have the placed "Master" graphic linked, because once every 3 months there will be changes to the master graphic. My intention is to make those changes to file of the master graphic, then open the other series of files with links to it, update the link via the Links Panel, and make any adjustments to the unique elements on each artboard. Other projects in the future will likely need to use the same master graphic, so linking will be more important than ever.

Is this manner I can manage periodic updates to a series of related illustrations for a project from one file; in a manner similar apps that have multi-page capabilities and/or "master layers".

===================

Yesterday, I found that symbols can be snapped to and, therefore, accomplish what I described above. I use my master graphic to make a symbol, save it to a user-defined symbol library, and then open that symbol library in another file and drag the symbol onto an artboard, size it and make duplicates of the artboard.

Later on, any alterations to the master graphic are done and resaved to the user-defined symbol library (over-riding the previous symbol). Then open any files which use the master symbol and via the Symbols Panel, update instances of the "master" symbol.

So the process is similar to what can be accomplished with a linked master file but not as simple to implement and without all of the link management capabilities of the Links Panel.
    IP

Why not save your master map? as a template with all of its layers and symbols. When you want to start a new map? all you have to do is to say "New from Template" and away you go. I would also turn on "Use Smart Guides" as this also helps you place your symbols. Please remember that you don't need to save all your map effects as a symbol you can also define them as a brush and load them from the same area as symbols as if I remember rightly you were using a selection of coloured broken lines which would save time.

Keep asking and I will try to help!
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Thanks.
    Done, created a template using a symbol for all the common elements of the map which is located on its own layer.
    IP