Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy Custom IIS7 404 Error Page using Xara Web Designer

Hi Guys,

Here is a technical one, after coming from Expression Web this is causing me a slight headache. I am creating a custom 404 (not found) page for a client, the site is old and has had many deep link pages over the years. Now I create the 404 Page in xara fine, upload it, great so far.... If I then browse to a page and change the URL slightly it brings up the 404 page.

Problem, if a user is viewing the site and is say 2 pages down (ddep link) in the site the 404 page displays but without the graphics, I presume this is because the page is asking for the files in the index support page at the root url. Does anyone know of an easy way to get round this problem. I think ive even confused myself now just writing that... even though I know what I mean...

Default Re: Custom IIS7 404 Error Page using Xara Web Designer

Am baffled by this. I normally stick the 404 page with its stuff in the site root and every bad link finds it. Will be interested to see what the experts say as I have to do this later. So far I've made my error pages in another program.

Good luck.

Ali

Default Re: Custom IIS7 404 Error Page using Xara Web Designer

Hi

The links within these pages need to be absolute or a base href needs to be added to the pages thus allowing the graphics to be located and displayed from all directories. The quickest solution would be to add the base href tag

You'll have to manually edit your exported 404 error page to achieve this. Edit it in notepad and add the base href tag
    directly after the DTD and before the opening HTML tag.

The base href would point to the published address of directory containing your 404 page.
    <base href="http://somedomain.com/404/">

Hope this helps