Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Arranging objects on a 'path'

Hi,
    I have a quick question
    Is it possible to "arrange" objects in any way other than in a straight line? Say I wanted to space 12 stars in a circle so it looked like a clock face. Can I draw a circle and then somehow space all the stars around it in an equidistant way? Or...can I draw a squiggle and place "objects" evenly along its path?
    TIA for any help!!
    Jo

Default Re: Arranging objects on a 'path'

Hello

Just make a blend from one object to the next with 11 steps. Select this blend and your circle and go back to the blend tool and choose for the blend to follow the curve and to rotate along the curve. (two buttons you'll see after having activated the blend tool)

Here is a file showing...

StarsAroundCircle.xar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StarsAroundCircle.png 
Views:	224 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	81600

Peace

James

Hi welcome

which program are you using?

if it is xara xtreme/designer this thread may help:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...-do&highlight=

EDIT: - James has just beaten me to an answer that assumes you are using xara
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Guys - I didn't know the blend tool could do that either.

Thank you SO much!! I am new to the forums and now know I have a great, friendly, helpful resource!!

I think the easiest way is to use Gary's method of drawing a clock face where you select and objetc and move the centre of rotation of that object down to the centre of your circle. With your angle of constraint set in your Page Options to suit the number of stars "Ctrl+right click" to duplicate your star around the circle. This might sound difficult but it is not so have a look here in the Xone : http://www.xaraxone.com/tutorials/au...orial%202.html
    Design is thinking made visual.

That is another way to do it, but I have to disagree that it is the easiest.

Also, using the blend method works for ANY number of encircling objects that you want. If you want 7 objects, then for your method, you just have to set the angle of constraint to 51.42857143° My way, you type "6". (n-1)

The question was GENERAL, with the clock face as a specific EXAMPLE. For the clock face, it's "debatable" which works best. In the general case, it is obvious this way is easier, since one doesn't have to go change the angle of constraint after calculating it.

Just decide how many you want and tell Xara, it does the rest. Easier.

Peace

James

I think the easiest way is the way the designer is most comfortable with. While I agree with James, I am not a fan of SHOUTING or CAPITALISED EMPHASIS. I think we can all get by without it.

Hello pauland

Thanks for agreeing.

What? No "CAPITALISED EMPHASIS"?

It (capitalizing) has become a staple of internet forums. The words are much more important than their styling... You are correct, though... we have bold, italics, underlining, and color-coding; so no real reason to "shout" with caps.

Peace

James