Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default video on a website and on an iPad

two fold question:

I dropped a mp4 video onto a web page and published the page but when I go to look at it, it says "video not found". I looked in the files on the server and the video is there. Hum. Do you know why it does not appear? I temporarily put it here:
    http://monicawebsites.com/

I am doing this because I am trying to determine if I can place an mp4 video on a page (instead of a flash video) so that it can be seen on an iPad. Ultimately, I would like to convert a flash header to an mp4 format that would automatically play ... any thoughts?

Default Re: video on a website and on an iPad

Monica, you have set the video to be here: http://monicawebsites.com/index_htm_...oug-rousar.mp4 unfortunately that video is not on your server.

That's the problem.

Paul

Monica, I should also say that that solution won't work on an iPad even if the file was there. Your video player is flash based and the iPad doesn't run flash.

This might help: http://www.mediacollege.com/video/fo...g/example.html

You can put the code into a snippet.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I should also say that that solution won't work on an iPad even if the file was there.
    You are wrong. It would work well on iPad if the file was there and it's compression format was supported by iPad.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    You are wrong. It would work well on iPad if the file was there and it's compression format was supported by iPad.
    Not if it's embedded as it is now - referenced by a flash video player.

Look at the source again, and find this:
    Code:
    <video src="index_htm_files/dips-and-tricks-doug-rousar.mp4" controls width="100%" height="100%"></video>
    John.

Ah, I missed the video tag under the flash player. You're good to go Monica, once the video file is transferred.

John (covoxer) is absolutely right.

You are right - there was a problem uploading the video to that server. I uploaded to another server www.monicatest.info and I can see it on the iPod Touch but I cannot see it on my PC. I will keep trying.

I guess I do not need the snippet?

Have you had any luck converting flash files (like the ones created using Xara) into a format that is visible on iPads and iPods?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by covoxer; 12 May 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monica View Post
    You are right - there was a problem uploading the video to that server. I uploaded to another server www.monicatest.info and I can see it on the iPod Touch but I cannot see it on my PC. I will keep trying.
    I have tried it on my PC. It does play, however since it takes a little while to load, it looks like nothing is happenning. Unfortunately, while it does play, the video does not show but the sound can be heard, so I think that the problem may be that the video codec used to encode the file is not supported by the flash video player.

Maybe covoxer will have a suggestion. I suspect you will either need to encode the video using a differrent codec supported by the flash player, or resort to a code snippet to play in html (for browsers that don't support the html5 video tag).
    Last edited by covoxer; 12 May 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Paul is right, the compression format used in your video (MP42) is not supported by the flash player. The mp4 file format is just a video container, it can contain video compressed with lots of different compression formats. Not all of them are supported by the flash player. If you want it to work in flash player and on iPad, it's best to use H.264 compression.
    John.