Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default HELP!! WD7 Premium - Is there a more comprehensive Help file????

I am having major issues building a massive site with this program. A former SS user I have stupidly jumped head first into this program using the download only purchase option and am left with what is only a flimsy help file. PLEASE I will pay ANYTHING at this point for a complete manual!!!!!

I get so far and keep running into road blocks. It's so frustrating that every time I try to work on this site it is not long before I am almost in tears due to sheer frustration. It all seems so straightforward but nothing ever does what it appears to say it is going to do. I then end up spending HOURS pouring over the help file, scouring this forum, tutorials, etc. and in the end get little to nothing done but end my day totally stressed out.

I do NOT want to use one of the pre-fab web site templates and am trying to build one from scratch utilizing objects from the design galleries, etc. As an example just now I was attempting to use a text block. Pour through all the choices, even going through the Web design templates to snag one from any of those as I can match colors if needed. Choose one that will expand horizontally and vertically and everything that can go wrong did go wrong. I tried several different text blocks in fact. In the end got one to expand horizontally but it won't expand vertically.

Copy and paste the text and no matter if I choose unformatted or rich text option it wants to strew it out in a straight line rather than formatting it in a paragraph. This is a bunch of text I would rather not have to re-type AGAIN. Tried copying it by single paragraph. Same result. So I vowed the program would NOT win and laboriously sat there hitting enter at each end of sentence so it would word wrap and guess what? When it hit the end of the text block the text spilled over into the page instead of the block expanding!!!!!!!

I give up!!!!!!! I'm going shopping before I throw something through my monitor or scrap everything I've done so far and just do all the updates they wanted done in SS and refund part of their money and chalk this whole mess up to a loss. I've been wrestling with this program for well over a week and besides all the fatal errors and the fact I have uninstalled it and redownloaded it and installed it again (which went fine until I installed the content pack, I had to go to my task bar to close window on the program, and at the end of installation.... FATAL ERROR!!!!!!!) I am at wits end.

I knew there was going to be a learning curve here but a comprehensive help file would be nice!! Scattered tutorials, videos with broken links, etc. are NOT helpful.

If ANYBODY can tell me where I can download or purchase a FULL manual I would be eternally grateful!!! For now I must get off this computer and do something mundane like grocery shopping or something before my head explodes. I'll check in later when I return and my blood pressure has returned to normal. TIA!

~Darlene~

Default Re: HELP!! WD7 Premium - Is there a more comprehensive Help file????

Hi Darlene,

There is no manual that I am aware of for any of the Web Designer versions.

Fortunately creating a Text area is very easy to achieve.

Select the Text Tool then with your mouse in the page area simply click and drag down and to the right. You now have a text area in which you can either type new text or paste text you have copied to the clipboard.

If the text area is smaller than the text you wish to paste simply use the text tool to drag one of the corners to extend the area vertically or horizontally.

BTW never use the Selector Tool to resize a text area, always use the Text Tool.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I don't know if your help section on a download version is the same as on a purchased disc version, but I too spent hours (days) swearing at the help section when I first bought it, until I noticed a little check box down in the left bottom corner that says "search titles only" - if you have it then uncheck it, it returns very few things in a search if checked.

Thank you Soquili and MEgg881 I will try both of these suggestions. Sorry I did not respond sooner. Dealing with a head cold on top of everything else. Will try to open the program again tomorrow and see how it goes. Today is a lost cause. Someone pass the Nyquil. LOL

~Darlene~

Ah, Darlene, have I ever been where you are.

I have been using Xara programs for years and gave up long, long ago to expect any help from them - although I will admit that the "help" section is far, far better than it use to be.

Although it is a pain, right here is the place to get help - usually very quickly.

The untold hours that some very capable people put in answering my dumb questions is amazing and the tutorials they have made up on their own are a major source of help.

If it was not for this forum and the people here, Xara would have been out of business long, long ago - they owe these people a very big "thank you". - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com