Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Exporting text - Format problems

Hi Folks, perhaps somone can point me in the right direction. I would like to export text from my website (I'm using Designer 7) and paste it into a WordPress blog.

The problem is this, after I copy the text I can't seem to paste correctly into WordPress....or anywhere else including a Word doc.. It loses all the text formatting and the links I have embedded are lost.

I suspect that I'm doing something wrong and how I paste the text to begin with in Web Designer 7.

Any ideas, suggestions?

My website is http://www.the247newsroom.com

Thanks
    Tom Petner

Default Re: Exporting text - Format problems

Are you trying to copy the text from your page in a browser or directly from WD?
    John.

Hi Covoxer, I'm trying to copy it directly from WD7. When I do that it just won't copy over. Then I tried copying it directly from my site (http://www.the247newsroom.com) and it copies over and the links are there, BUT the formatting is gone. It's just a continuous string of sentences.

Unfortunatelly - to preserve integrity and allow to freely manipulate - Xara "chops" all text You write. It produces design where every line has it place - it's suited for "static" sites.

To "extract" text with links one should write a script to "glue" lines in paragraphs, and to "see" when paragraph ends. As in source:
    <span class="xr_tl xr_s14" style="top: 193px;">fall - said prosecutors confirmed she was never </span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_s14" style="top: 210px;">told of her right to remain silent or call a lawyer.”</span>
    <span class="xr_tl xr_s14" style="top: 243px;">The hot debate in newsrooms and across the Web is whether <span class="xr_s17">to air</span>&nbsp;or <span class="xr_s17">not to </span></span>
    first to lines are in one paragraph (210 - 193 = 17 px between them with text size) - and next line is new paragraph (243 - 210 = 33px)
    Also remember text formating: so here - xr_s14 is "normal", xr_s17 is "italic" (in fact there should be <em> instead)

Not so semantic, as one can say - but it is always something for something.

One script will fit it - if all are formatted same way.

Thanks for the reponse blekk, but I'm afraid you lost me back at 'unfortunately.' On a good day, I might consider myself a power user, but most days I'm far from an experience IT person who can 'write a script.' Among the confusion, I'm not sure what WD7 producing design for a 'static' site has to do with it?

Try following.
    Copy your text in WD and paste it to MS Word. Then copy the text in Word and paste into WordPress.
    John.

thanks covoxer, I'll give that a ty.

I just tried pasting from both WD7 and again off my website. In each case, all the text is copied, but itcomes out as a continuous stream of text without the individual line formatting and without the links.

And, as I may have mentioned, when I copied off my website and directly into WordPress, all there links and copy are there, but without the inidividual line breaks...it was again a continuous stream.

Any other ideas?

Does this have anything to do with the way text is posted initially into WD7?

Somewhere...I believe I spotted it here on the boards...some discussion about adding something and that 'something' I don't recall - to maintain the formatting.

As a side note, I had a guy complain to me that he tried to copy an article off my site and while all the text was there, it was the same situation - when he pasted the text into Word none of the original formatting was there.

Have you tried to copy from WD to MS Word? This does preserve everything including formatting and links.
    John.

When do You need this? Are You in hurry? If I find some free minutes I can do it for You - if you find no solution. But rather next week.

covoxer: I tried MS Word - not working.
    Last edited by blekk; 05 May 2011 at 08:21 PM.