Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Just received Cinema 4D 2012

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think if I were picking up Cinema for the first time and was totally new to 3D, I might feel a little overwhelmed by skilled practitioners showing off their skills with stuff that looks nothing like a grenade.
    Maybe overwhelmed but I hope that person would be inspired and determined to master the program.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hello Larry,

I totally agree.

It was through seeing (3D) things done on the Amiga back in the late 80's that gave me an interest in 3D graphics. Many of the things that were being shown were beyond my skill level, but it definitely was INSPIRATION. I used, at the time, Sculpt 4D and Silver (later, Imagine) and they were very cool tools. It feels very cool NOW, to be back "playing" with 3D software. The tools are much more powerful now, produce consistently better and more colorful images, much more easily integrate with various file formats and other software, and are much more affordable....like Blender, FREE.

All the images that I am sharing are aimed at making others take an interest in Blender (in particular) and 3D graphics (in general).

Very often, I have both Designer Pro 6 and Blender open. When, in Blender, I need some particular shape or image to map, it is short work to run off and make it and import it. In other words, Blender doesn't in any way negate or replace Xara software, it SUPPLEMENTS it.

Peace

James

This is simply to show how I would begin modeling a MK-2 "pineapple" grenade in Cinema 4D version 8. Hopefully this will be similar enough to C4D version 12 to be of some help to the OP.

Started with a cylinder and gave it 5 Height Segments and 8 Rotation Segments.
    Played with Edge selections to give it the familiar shape.
    Beveled the Edges then selected the polygons (faces of the segments) and extruded them then scaled them (down sized).
    Selected the top edges and moved them to create the 'neck' of the grenade.
    Applied some textures to see how it looks before continueing to model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mk2-c4d.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	81468  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update