Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Need some advice

I am in the process of starting to build 2 sites - both of which will have hundreds of pages. One of the sites will mainly advertise real estate and take classifieds for anything and the other will be handle business ads as well as real estate. (We are taking the small community paper we printed online.)

I have use Designer Pro -6 for several small sites and found that the saving/loading of a site on my computer takes FOREVER. (I am running with a 3.2 chip but with only 4 mb of memory - should be plenty, however.) Also, even when I check to upload with only the changed files, it takes FOREVER.

First, would those of you that have built large sites, would you recommend doing so in Xara? If not, what program would you use? (Since I have a working knowledge of most of Xara's programs, I would much prefer to continue using it.)

Also, I have seen posted here in the past about "breaking" a site into smaller parts - just what does this do and how does one do it?

Tks all - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Need some advice

At the risk of me getting shot, I'd suggest getting an FTP client. I've had many times where I update only a page or two, but the entire site gets uploaded!

From what you have said ... I understand that you are using .web files that contain a lot of pages... if this is the case you will find that upload time is great.
    I would suggest that you break up your site(s) into a number of .web files and export and upload only those which you have updated. You can link the pages using the xxx.htm file names in a menu or other scheme. I have sites with many pages, but create a .web file for single or few pages in order to make it easier to update/change pages and upload them.. Also, get an FTP program like FileZilla to handle your uploads to the server. Your day will go much better ....

Walt

Appreciate the replies - I have used FileZilla in the past and had no problem with it. I have never divided a site into different files before so I may get back to you to get the details on just now to do it the right way.

Again, tks - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Hi Jeb,

Xara Xone workbook 85 has the info on how to manage large websites http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook85/index.html

Tks, Fizzy - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com