50. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think DVD packaging is a good idea

27 54.00%
  • I think DVD packaging is a bad idea

7 14.00%
  • I don't mind, the product/contents count

16 32.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

AOL latest marketing trick/advertsing plot uses these really neat wooden boxes that travel through the post rather well, are lightweight, and are very original. I keep the box, and toss out the CD. They look the same as a regular CD box.

If you can find something simular, maybe that looks like a paperback, that would be very Cool..
    John/DOT

>> Obviously your storage needs are quite specific, most people won't have a specific drawer for jewel cases.<<

In the years I've been using CDs, I've always had dedicated storage for them, and the storage has always been designed for jewelcases since that was the way most CDs were distributed. The same storage will accomodate CDs in sleeves unless it's an open rack.

Between home and office, I currently have open racks, the drawer in the computer desk, a wooden standalone case, a standalone box with two drawers, and a closed stand with 6 tip-open shelves. Oops, forgot the small plastic box that holds data CDs in sleeves. None of these items will accomodate a DVD package.

>>What do you do with things like your manual anyway? Do you store them somewhere else?<<

Manuals go on bookshelves either next to, or within a few feet of, the computer.

The bookshelves are usually where I try to put the DVD packages. Unfortunately, they're small relative to the manuals, so they get lost visually. Or there's no room on the manual shelf so they have to go elsewhere, and then they're really disconnected.

BTW, I've never had a Xara manual. Is there such a thing? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

>> You could swap the CD over for a jewel case of sleeve <<

I think I've already given you some reasons why that's not a good idea. Take just one: "everything looks alike". When you take a CD out of its pretty packaging and put it into a generic jewelcase or sleeve, you lose most of the identifying graphics. That means it's harder to find the CD when you need it.

Often when I need one of these CDs, I'm in a hurry because things are going wrong. I'm not kicking back with a beer enjoying a leisurely evening tinkering with the computer. I can locate a CD in its original packaging in a few seconds. For those in generic jewelcases or plain white sleeves, it takes a -lot- longer. I have to pull them all out of the drawer and thumb through the pile 2 or 3 times because the visual cues are gone or diminished. Meanwhile, frustration is building.

That's why I suggested a printed sleeve – visual cues. Very important for identification purposes.

>>Your serial number is in the Xara admin system. So logging in should provide that, and theoretically you should never lose that.<<

You're right — theoretically. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif That's assuming you have an active web connection at the moment. And your account and log-on info is available to you. I do have active web connections most of the time, but I may not have access to the machine that holds my log-on info. Earlier this year, I was on 4 different computers in 3 weeks, and none of them had my Xara account info or any way to access it. Still had to get my work done, so I spent a significant amount of that time reinstalling software, usually on the spur of the moment, according to immediate need. I was very grateful for clearly identifiable jewelcases with attached serial numbers.http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

That's an extreme example, but I dare say most of us have had similar experiences, and they generally involve the software we use to make a living.

I think the idea of moving the media to a "DVD" the plastic, snap open case is just wonderful!! I understand Allisons concerns but I still think the idea is a real winner!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Jewel cases are easily shattered or crack and the sleeves are not all that easy to read (esp as I get older http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif ). Namo, WebEditor uses this type of packageing and I love it. Microsoft also uses this type of packaging for some of their products.

The little clips on the inside could easily hold the reference card, a small manual and you could put a nice sticker with the serial number anywhere in the inside or outside (or both). Probably would cost less to ship them too!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I say go for it!! Kinda OT but related.... I have more DVD's than I do VHS now and I didn't like having to invest in a new way to store them but it's worked out better. DVD packaging and media area smaller than VHS so I avoid, at all costs, the VHS format!! So when I recieved my Namo 5.5 in a DVD package I was thrilled and thought "Finally, someone got smart about packageing software". Everything was there. The disk, a couple of information cards and a nice glossy card with the serial numbers and Key codes printed out with instructions in how to enter them. The outside is nicely printed photo type paper, front, side and back, so it's easily recognized!!

You package your products like this and it will be very forward thinking in how you are distributing your software and I think folks will appreciate this in the long run. Lead, don't follow!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Why I voted no.

Like Allison, because of storage issues ... even when not using a special rack or tray. I've got too many floppies, disks, etc., and its hard to keep them stacked or from falling over ... just leads to a lot of little piles.

I've just purchased a music CD which is quite simply packaged in a vinyl album type cardboard sleeve with all the information and various unimaginative images printed on it. Why does a data CD or DVD for that matter, need to be swathed in plastic which does little to protect it any more than recylcled cardboard would. It take up less space on the shelf and I'm sure has less environmental impact than the non- biodegradable plastic boxes that eventually find their way to the local tip, as this years upgrade superseeds last years upgrade...I'm not refering to Xara with is last remark, though a piece of software that begins with Corel and ends with Draw (I think we all know who I'm talking about) might take heed.
    I think that packaging can be used to increase the perceived value too much as in the days where we used to have a great big box with a floppy disk in it. DVD sized boxes are used to make them harder to steal.

I agree with getting rid of the box and going with the DVD style case. However, with a twist:
    The common DVD/CD cases break easily and CD or DVD removal is difficult.
    Why not go with a polyethylene case instead?
    Here is a picture of the case that came with Photoimpact 6.
    It is light weight, unbreakable, and works well. It is also very thin ( 1/2 CM ), which would mail easily. - Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polyethylene_CD_case_SM.jpg 
Views:	604 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	15025  

AndFarr,

I LIKE that idea. Same basic footprint (a little smaller) as old jewels and would keep Allison happy because they easily fit into slots of existing storage racks.

I recently got my SketchUp in one. Works nice.

John, Allison... so what do you do with your boxes from Xara X? Just curious
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Although I feel the contents of the package are vastly more important than the packaging... I must admit I am a succer for cool boxes. DVD-packaging kinda removes the 'classy' character of a proper box.
    However the current box-design (although the layout is rather neat) uses a very feeble cardboard which makes it a bit cheap.

I'd say either switch to a higher quality cardboard, or switch to a DVD box.

Just my 2ct,
    David

Anthony,

Most of the boxes I get have printed/bound manuals so everything (including the CDs) are kept in the box and put on the book shelf. Otherwise, for software that's downloaded, I archive to CD's.

I do "collect" old boxes/manuals of software (wonder if they'll ever be "collectables") so I am keeping the X1 box for sure. I still have WordPerfect 4.x manauals for DOS (one the best document manuals published imho). I guess sooner or later I'll have to do some house cleaning; probably start with the old DOS manuals :}