• I think DVD packaging is a good idea

27 54.00%
  • I think DVD packaging is a bad idea

7 14.00%
  • I don't mind, the product/contents count

16 32.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

We're current exploring the pros and cons of moving to DVD packaging for our boxed products.

By this, I mean we have three products we currently send out in the cardboard box outer: Xara X, Xara Webstyle and Xara 3D.

We're exploring moving these over to DVD packaging, which is used (obviously) for DVDs, a lot of games/software, console games etc.

Please note it wouldn't mean changing the contents: i.e. Xara X would still have the shortcut card, Webstyle would still have the manual etc. It really is just a packaging question.

So we just wanted to gauge thoughts here. What do you think of such a move?

Please also feel free to add your vote to the poll.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please note that this is just the packaging. The product will still be on CD-ROM, and we have no plans to move over to DVD disc format.</span>
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

We're current exploring the pros and cons of moving to DVD packaging for our boxed products.

By this, I mean we have three products we currently send out in the cardboard box outer: Xara X, Xara Webstyle and Xara 3D.

We're exploring moving these over to DVD packaging, which is used (obviously) for DVDs, a lot of games/software, console games etc.

Please note it wouldn't mean changing the contents: i.e. Xara X would still have the shortcut card, Webstyle would still have the manual etc. It really is just a packaging question.

So we just wanted to gauge thoughts here. What do you think of such a move?

Please also feel free to add your vote to the poll.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please note that this is just the packaging. The product will still be on CD-ROM, and we have no plans to move over to DVD disc format.</span>

John, Allison... so what do you do with your boxes from Xara X? Just curious

Erm Allison, if you get the CD version and not the boxed version, how does this affect you? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

You should just continue to get the CD-only version...

Anthony,

Most of the boxes I get have printed/bound manuals so everything (including the CDs) are kept in the box and put on the book shelf. Otherwise, for software that's downloaded, I archive to CD's.

I do "collect" old boxes/manuals of software (wonder if they'll ever be "collectables") so I am keeping the X1 box for sure. I still have WordPerfect 4.x manauals for DOS (one the best document manuals published imho). I guess sooner or later I'll have to do some house cleaning; probably start with the old DOS manuals :}

I've just purchased a music CD which is quite simply packaged in a vinyl album type cardboard sleeve with all the information and various unimaginative images printed on it. Why does a data CD or DVD for that matter, need to be swathed in plastic which does little to protect it any more than recylcled cardboard would. It take up less space on the shelf and I'm sure has less environmental impact than the non- biodegradable plastic boxes that eventually find their way to the local tip, as this years upgrade superseeds last years upgrade...I'm not refering to Xara with is last remark, though a piece of software that begins with Corel and ends with Draw (I think we all know who I'm talking about) might take heed.
    I think that packaging can be used to increase the perceived value too much as in the days where we used to have a great big box with a floppy disk in it. DVD sized boxes are used to make them harder to steal.

Rammie

I'm well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of jewelcases since between home and office I have 400-500 of them (mostly music).

If you have a lot of DVDs, it makes great sense to ditch your VHS stuff and standardize on DVD. To date, I have no DVDs. I'm sure I will eventually, but so far none of the stuff I'm interested in is distributed that way. And since DVDs may not be any more stable than CDs, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a new distribution format altogether coming down the pike.

In the office, we've never used jewelboxes for the CDs we distribute for exactly the reasons you cite. We've always used polyethylene clamshells. OTOH, there are no graphics, marketing material or serial numbers, so we don't need the additonal print surfaces.

Altogether I have fewer than a dozen CDs in nonstandard packaging, including a couple in DVD cases. All of them are problems because they can't go in the normal filing system. They have to be stored elsewhere, so they're out of mind, sight and order. Or they stick out of the open racks, so they tend to get knocked off, or knock other CDs off when you move them in and out.

As a replacement for Xara's jewelcases, my first choice is still a printed cardboard sleeve as Masque describes (assuming it fits into standard CD storage). I could live with the clamshell as AndFarr suggests, but it's still too anonymous to be useful for ID purposes.

Why I voted no.

Like Allison, because of storage issues ... even when not using a special rack or tray. I've got too many floppies, disks, etc., and its hard to keep them stacked or from falling over ... just leads to a lot of little piles.

My vote was (o)I don't mind.

All my software CDs & DVDs get removed from their jewel cases or boxes, put into slip-cases and stored in my old 5-1/4" floppy disc boxes which hold between 60 and 70 CDs each.

I think the idea of moving the media to a "DVD" the plastic, snap open case is just wonderful!! I understand Allisons concerns but I still think the idea is a real winner!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Jewel cases are easily shattered or crack and the sleeves are not all that easy to read (esp as I get older http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif ). Namo, WebEditor uses this type of packageing and I love it. Microsoft also uses this type of packaging for some of their products.

The little clips on the inside could easily hold the reference card, a small manual and you could put a nice sticker with the serial number anywhere in the inside or outside (or both). Probably would cost less to ship them too!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I say go for it!! Kinda OT but related.... I have more DVD's than I do VHS now and I didn't like having to invest in a new way to store them but it's worked out better. DVD packaging and media area smaller than VHS so I avoid, at all costs, the VHS format!! So when I recieved my Namo 5.5 in a DVD package I was thrilled and thought "Finally, someone got smart about packageing software". Everything was there. The disk, a couple of information cards and a nice glossy card with the serial numbers and Key codes printed out with instructions in how to enter them. The outside is nicely printed photo type paper, front, side and back, so it's easily recognized!!

You package your products like this and it will be very forward thinking in how you are distributing your software and I think folks will appreciate this in the long run. Lead, don't follow!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---