50. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think DVD packaging is a good idea

27 54.00%
  • I think DVD packaging is a bad idea

7 14.00%
  • I don't mind, the product/contents count

16 32.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

We're current exploring the pros and cons of moving to DVD packaging for our boxed products.

By this, I mean we have three products we currently send out in the cardboard box outer: Xara X, Xara Webstyle and Xara 3D.

We're exploring moving these over to DVD packaging, which is used (obviously) for DVDs, a lot of games/software, console games etc.

Please note it wouldn't mean changing the contents: i.e. Xara X would still have the shortcut card, Webstyle would still have the manual etc. It really is just a packaging question.

So we just wanted to gauge thoughts here. What do you think of such a move?

Please also feel free to add your vote to the poll.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please note that this is just the packaging. The product will still be on CD-ROM, and we have no plans to move over to DVD disc format.</span>
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

We're current exploring the pros and cons of moving to DVD packaging for our boxed products.

By this, I mean we have three products we currently send out in the cardboard box outer: Xara X, Xara Webstyle and Xara 3D.

We're exploring moving these over to DVD packaging, which is used (obviously) for DVDs, a lot of games/software, console games etc.

Please note it wouldn't mean changing the contents: i.e. Xara X would still have the shortcut card, Webstyle would still have the manual etc. It really is just a packaging question.

So we just wanted to gauge thoughts here. What do you think of such a move?

Please also feel free to add your vote to the poll.

<span class="ev_code_RED">Please note that this is just the packaging. The product will still be on CD-ROM, and we have no plans to move over to DVD disc format.</span>

Hi Antony,

I think the product/content is the highest priority. I know that more and more software will be moved to DVD rather than CD format. In the company I work for, there are no PCs that have DVD-ROM drives. I have three personal computers at home, two desktop and one laptop. One Desktop and the laptop have DVD-ROMs, only because they came bundled that way.

I think software that fits on a single CD doesn't benefit from moving to DVD format. Products like Microsoft's Visual Studio/.NET that have multiple CDs can and do benefit from having a single DVD for installation.

Just my thoughts.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I really must stress again that this is referring to DVD PACKAGING. We are not considering moving over to DVDs themselves.

Thanks.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Antony -- Let's see if I can help get this straight. You are refering to the typical plastic cases that dvd's are usually marketed in. They snap open to reveal a hinged tray for a disc (you'd have a cdrom one) and space for a booklet etc. The outside would feature bookcover type graphics.

I have an example here in my hand.It is the case for Piranesi by Informatix Software in Cambridge. They used designer Angie Moyes (www.fuz.co.uk). One aspect of theirs is it contained a fitted envelope with licence agreement.

Regards, Ross

Anthony,

Yes, drop the box. It is a shame the cases are linked with DVDs so heavily. They are made of a more appropriate grade of plastic than "CD cases" in that they can take a knock and not shatter. They would meet your needs far better than a cardboard box - TBH I have thrown my black Xara X¹ box away : it looked diabolical after the postal system had finished with it, an embarassment to have on the shelf and pointless to keep in the loft.

I'm always sending customers CDs, either with artwork on them, backups of work on them, or software too large for them to download themselves on puny dialup connections. I have been sending them out in "DVD cases" for a long time now. DVD case, sheet of bubblewrap and an A4 envelope. Add 10p for a colour print in the sleeve, and you've got a very professional package for a CD in the post for less than 40 pence.

While I can see the advantages in DVD packaging, it still gives me problems when it comes to storage.

For example, the serial number is usually on the packaging, so I have to keep the CD with the package. Most of my apps come in jewel cases or sleeves, and they live in a drawer designed for jewel cases and sleeves. Apps that come in DVD packaging have to be stored somewhere else.

When I need the original CD, I first go through all the CDs in the drawer and then freak out when I don't find what I need. Then I have to start thinking about what else it could look like and where I might have put it, since I have no storage that will easily accomodate multiple DVD packages.

Of course, I could take the CD out of the package and put it in some kind of sleeve, but then...

- I run more risk of damaging the CD.

- it becomes harder to find yet another CD in a sleeve because they all look alike.

- the connection between the CD and the package is broken, so I run more risk of throwing out an empty DVD package, then realizing later that I needed it.

- no matter how careful I am, I can still mix up the CDs and the sleeves with the handwritten serial numbers. (Even though I try to keep all the serial numbers in my password vault app, there are times I'm in a hurry and forget.)

If you want to get rid of the box, I would prefer a clearly identifiable printed sleeve that will fit in standard CD storage.

Ross, yes that's right. As Daniel went on to elaborate, that's the one.

Daniel, postage is one of our major concerns, that the boxes can get crushed. Not had many complaints abou this, but it's still not nice for those that do.

Allison, thanks for your thoughts. Obviously your storage needs are quite specific, most people won't have a specific drawer for jewel cases. What do you do with things like your manual anyway? Do you store them somewhere else? Inevitably storage of these things is different for everyone. You could swap the CD over for a jewel case of sleeve, if that's what your drawer contains.

Your serial number is in the Xara admin system. So logging in should provide that, and theoretically you should never lose that.

I know only three people have voted "no" so far, but I'd particularly like to hear the views of those people to know why they don't want such packaging.

Thanks everyone. Keep the thoughts coming, and my ears are always open to anything that comes to your door (i.e. the packaging, the CD, the manuals) as that's my what I look after.

Antony, sorry for my misunderstanding. The DVD style packaging would be fine for my needs. I'm the type that has everything stacked around so I can reach it easily from my chair http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update