Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

AS a first attempt sort of project with Flash/Livemotion, I made a display with a blob (named red_blob) that bounces around on-screen along a path once and starts when the page loads.
    --Now I want to add two buttons that will start and stop the blob along its path.
    I'm having only two problems:
    1) the blob always runs automatically when the page loads, and I can't find any explanation of what I have to do to stop this. The blob is a separate movie. The red_blob was the first thing I made, but I deleted it and re-made another and re-set it as a separate movie.
    2) the buttons don't have any effect on it. I assume the buttons function because I attached sounds to them, and they sound when clicked...?
    I have looked around in the LiveScripting 2.0 PDF guide already, and tried every naming variation I can remember that would work in ordinary Javascript or Java, but none of it helps.
    If my parent movie is named,,, uhhh,,,,I don't know, what is it named? The timeline says "Composition" and won't let me re-name it, but the help files refer to it as "_this" and "_root" also. Which is it? Do I have to call it anything to refer to a child explicitly?
    And,
    what syntax do I have to use to tell the child movie "red_blob" to start or stop playing?
    IP

AS a first attempt sort of project with Flash/Livemotion, I made a display with a blob (named red_blob) that bounces around on-screen along a path once and starts when the page loads.
    --Now I want to add two buttons that will start and stop the blob along its path.
    I'm having only two problems:
    1) the blob always runs automatically when the page loads, and I can't find any explanation of what I have to do to stop this. The blob is a separate movie. The red_blob was the first thing I made, but I deleted it and re-made another and re-set it as a separate movie.
    2) the buttons don't have any effect on it. I assume the buttons function because I attached sounds to them, and they sound when clicked...?
    I have looked around in the LiveScripting 2.0 PDF guide already, and tried every naming variation I can remember that would work in ordinary Javascript or Java, but none of it helps.
    If my parent movie is named,,, uhhh,,,,I don't know, what is it named? The timeline says "Composition" and won't let me re-name it, but the help files refer to it as "_this" and "_root" also. Which is it? Do I have to call it anything to refer to a child explicitly?
    And,
    what syntax do I have to use to tell the child movie "red_blob" to start or stop playing?
    IP

Nevermind, I got an answer elsewhere: somebody on the Adobe forums advised me to put the blob into a group, and make the scripts act on the group instead of just the one object. I dunno why, but it worked...
    IP