Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Remove Xara from Head

Most clients could care less how their website is produced, or the technical aspects of metatags or anything else. They want results, not issues. It's not a case of being dishonest, or up front. Metatags are not a client issue. Most people buy cars and don't care who made the engine inside or whether the car was made in England, or anywhere else, or if there's a small advert on the engine that identifies the maker of the engine.

I don't point out things to clients that they don't need to know, it creates doubt in their mind. They just want solutions.

I agree with much of what you are saying. The only bit that I disagree with is

The bottom line is that if customers want the metafile tags to be optional, they should be, whether it solves their issues or not.
    You are not the only one voicing this opinion (It was HarpGuy's post that prompted me to join this thread)

My view is that Xara have a right to sign their own work, as we all do. and that we can ask, but not demand, that they waive that right. I don't think that this is unreasonable.

Do you agree ?

If Xara felt it unreasonable to remove the metatag for the generator, and decided to act upon it, they would just lose a customer. This is technology, not art, or a copyright notice.

There is of course another angle - we don't own the software and we don't own the html generator, we buy a license to use it.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

as well to be reminded of that John - there is a lot of hot air blowing about in these parts just lately
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

If there was an option to remove the tag I imagine a lot of people would leave it on anyway, but at least the option would be there for people who want to remove it, then everybody is happy.

Also this might/might not be a good idea, but what about adding it as an option to Web Designer Premium and the Pro versions only, so that way it's another incentive and added benefit for people to buy the more expensive software.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

I would like to see the option to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by andymack View Post
    I too was looking at this exact 'problem' today; one of my clients is looking to get a "professional" in to see how to SEO the website I designed for them with Xara. The first thing this guy will do is belittle me by immediately telling them I use a wysiwyg tool and a child could do it.
    20+ years in graphic design and printing, taught me a couple of things. One, if the other "expert" really is an expert, he/she will not rip you up -- he will praise your work even if he thinks it is junk. I would always praise the design to the client, when bidding or quoting. Even if I could do the design myself. That designer, is going to have more work and guess who he always recommended the client call for their printing needs? Yes it was me. I ended up with a nice following of artists, designers, and ad agencies, recommending me to all of their clients. I never gave fake praise, honest only, but I never held back a well deserved complement, and NEVER disrespected the other persons work. Second, I learned that disrespecting or ripping another persons work made the client feel stupid, and look upon the disrespectful representative, as unprofessional. Neither of those things is a good label to have on you or your company. Ripping another NEVER produces good will or more sales. So my suggestion is to not worry about it, and if the ripping does come -- your client will not like the bad mouthing that the bad guy does. You may get more sheltering of your business than loss. You might get ripped, but you most likely will not get knocked out.
    Philphoto

I am new here -- so I hope you will forgive me any indiscretions. My first website work was html coding on Notepad, a free product. No one felt cheated because my tools were free. I understand the "code slingers" think they are hot shots, and disrespect anyone that uses tools for design or speed. Most of those code slingers forget they did not develop the code or language themselves. I have seen the sites they develop and yes they load fast, or are found quickly by the SEO but they are boring and absolutely impossible or painful to read.

I am in the middle of a new(er) book --"100 things every designer needs to know about people" by Susan M Weinschenk Phd. If you can get a copy I recommend it. Her book is about the ways, whys, and hows of people and how they interact on websites. This is completely for web designers. Reading a book like this and using the research as a foundation for items in your website build concrete solutions, that code slingers and SEO can not trump or disrespect. You build value by playing music the competition can not sing to. That approach has never failed me, in over 40+ years of work and selling.
    Philphoto

To insert your own <head> section, go here:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?55799

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.