Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Could someone please help me make my image spin please

You've done well so far, but now you want the grenade body to look like a normal round grenade. That is much more difficult to acheive properly with Xara3D, which isn't a 3d modelling application. Its tools are limited to extrusion, bevelling of edges, and some animations.

You would probably be better off detailing what you have by creating shapes of individual elements of the image, and applying different extrusions or bevels to highlight them. For example, create shapes for each of the grenade segments with small gaps between them, separate shapes for the lever and top sections, separate shapes for the Shiloh text, and give that a deeper extrusion than the rest so it actually stands proud of the rest of the image, and so on. The blue badge can be a similar separate shape standing a little proud of the grenade. The greater the level of 3d detail, with more edges and surfaces glinting as the badge rotates the more interesting the badge can be while still being a badge and not a model of a grenade.

There are a number of examples in the forum, try a search for ACF badge, for instance.

Mike

Think you might be able to help me out with that part this was my latest edit and what I've come up with but if you could add the detailed as described it would greatly be appreciated. Also, is there a better program that might be able to support such applications?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hello

As someone who has used Xara 3D for many years, reading this conversation makes me think that it is not really the right tool for the job!

One might come up with a great grenade image (etc.) but if it becomes basically flat or non-grenade-shaped as it animates, then it is instantly cheesy... ie. the shortcomings outweigh any coolness

Since I've been learning Blender over the last 2 to 3 months, I wanted to go into Blender and see if an hour would give me a reasonable grenade. (ready for animating, stills, or whatever) Below is what I came up with. With another hour of work, it could look much better, but still, it's not too bad as it is.

Here are a couple of images, though keep in mind that the forum software reduces the resolution, appearing less detailed than the originals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QuickGrenade.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	81344

Name:	QuickGrenade2.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	81345

I then took this grenade and to see about timing, made a quick 30 frame animation of it spinning. This took about an hour of rendering time (at 640 x 480) and only moments to set up...

Peace

James
    Last edited by ODdOnLifeItself; 27 April 2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Additional calibration needed

Quote Originally Posted by ODdOnLifeItself View Post
    it is instantly cheesy... ie. the shortcomings outweigh any coolness
    Rotating logos cheesy and uncool? What a shocker! ;-)

The image looks really good, what program is that?

Hello Pauland,

Not a schocker; but it would be interesting to cull from the Forum message base, and see the number of posts there have been historically that in some way could be reduced to "hi guys, spin this".

James

Raw Habitz

That is Blender 2.57

(free)

James

Thank you I will be downloading. Also, do you of other of quality programs that have the same applications. Thanks for the information

There are quite a few other programs...some not too expensive, some very expensive. You can Google various 3D programs and see which ones have trials. (most probably do)

I don't have experience with them, so can't recommend one way or another.

If you have patience with Blender, you'll be richly rewarded.

At any rate... here's one gratuitous image from Blender (once the initial objects are made, the real work is done) ... let's call it a Bling Grenade... I even threw in the Shiloh lettering.

Name:	BlingGrenade1.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	81349

Have fun!

James

I downloaded blender is there another application I need I can't get the images from Xara Xtreme to Blender