Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How really to improve search engines rank ?

AutoEvo, you misunderstand what I am saying.

A .co.uk domain could be hosted in india - the server delivering the web page being there rather than the UK. Similarly a .com domain could have web pages served from an Australian web server. There is no correlation between where the server is and the domain name suffixes used.

Logically, a .co.uk domain will be associated with the UK and .fr would be associated with France and a .com mostly associated with the USA (though businesses in english speaking countries have adopted this widely, so .com is common for UK based businesses too).

I think it is good for the domain suffix to be associated with the business locale, but that's an entirely differrent matter to where the web pages are served from. I have .co.uk and .com domains with the pages probably delivered by a web server in Germany.

The physical location of the servers is not relevant.

AutoEvo perhaps seeing where the TG servers are located will help. The GeoTool addon for FireFox will display a Flag representing the country where the web server is located. As you can see in the attached image Talkgraphics.com is on a server in Germany.

Xara's US home page is on a German based server.

MAGIX, a German based company has their US home page on a server in the US.

Physical server location is not dependant on a company's geographic location.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tg-firefox.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	81296   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-firefox.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	81297  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magix-firefox.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	81298  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

How do I add keywords to the meta data in a webpage designed with Xara Premium 7? I have searched the help files and find no referenct to "meta data".

Hi Don,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

See the attached image for the help file content for meta data.

Click on the thumbnail to see a larger image. Depending on the size of your browser window you may need to click the larger image to get a 100% view of the image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meta-data.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	81320  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

On the page you're on.... right click / web properties / page. Where is says page description, this is meta data and where it says page keywords, this is meta keywords. If you select 'website' rather than 'page' from web properties then your meta data and keywords will be the same across your whole website. For SEO, i'm led to believe it's better to have different meta data and keywords for each page. Also don't forget that it can work in your favour for seo to have your page title relevant to your meta data and keywords for that page.

Showing up on search engines is one of the most critical ways to increase website traffic and expose your content, product or service to people who might be interested in what you have to offer. Most of the major search engines utilize an algorithm to determine where a website ranks. The search engines have set up specific criteria that a website must meet to get to the top of the list. The criteria are different for every engine, but all engines share several commonalities. It all boils down to the type and amount of content provided on a given website, the level of optimization done on the site, and the popularity of the website (link popularity/PageRank). Tailoring your website for improved search engine rankings is also known widely as search engine optimization, or SEO.
    [spam removed]

a friend of mine who works on this for an airline company just reminded me that to help in seo, it's important to have alt tags on images within the website - something i'd forgotten to do on my website. For WD7P, my question is: Is the 'Image Caption [Alt Text]' box within the 'Web Properties / Image' tab the way to achieve this, or is there something else we need to do?

thanks all
    Autoevo

Quote Originally Posted by AutoEvo View Post
    Is the 'Image Caption [Alt Text]' box within the 'Web Properties / Image' tab the way to achieve this
    Yes.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    The best way to rank highly by search engines is to have Exceptionally Good Content.
    This says it all.

Web sites have to serve two masters, the people that go to a site must find what they are looking for clearly and easily and to get there one must satisfy the search engines.

When you type something into google's serach field and it send you to a site that has little to do with what you were searching for, Daddy Google is not happy. For that reason, they are always changing how and what their crawlers are looking for.

Just a couple of months back Google made some serious changes in their algorithms - MUCH to the disgust of some very big and top rated sites - - some went from top-rated to not rated at all.

In short, they updated their crawlers to pick up when the same or very close content is used on multiple site pages - in other words, content copied and/or purchased from some of the content mills out there. Not only did they downgrade sites doing this but in some cases they gave them negative grades for doing so.

So, long story short, good content gets good grades from Google - bad and/or copied content will get you slapped down hard.

Do some research on the subject of the page then re-write that content in your own words - Google will love you. - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

For anyone who's interested, a book i found really useful on this subject was written by Ben Norman and is called 'get to #1 on Google in Easy Steps'. Another book I found helpful was '50 ways to make Google Love your website' but I preferred Ben's book as it was written in a nicer way and found that graphically, it was much better laid out. So aside from this forum, i'd recommend the above books to learn more.