Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Text in scrollbox

It seems I have lost my brain, as I can't remember if, or how, to solve this problem...

I want to make a web site where I need to have the size of the window height locked.
    This requires a text box that needs to have a scroll bar if the text will overflow the permitted height.

Let's say the height is 300 px and the text requires 400 px to be read in full. How do I code this in WD 7?
    I can do it with CSS, but I can't find any way to solve it in WD 7.

Can anyone help me?
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se
    IP

Default Re: Text in scrollbox

You'd have to use a code placholder.
    John.
    IP

Make a new page of text the size you require. On the page you want the text to appear create a rectangle the required width and height and insert the code below [see also the attached .web] Where it says YOUR PAGE insert the exported name of the page, for instance if you named the page fred then enter fred.htm. You can also use an external file using a full url [i.e. http://etc etc...]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iFrame.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	81168  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Wow!
    Thanks!!!
    Now it works just fine, and with the help of Xara Designer Pro 6 I can also get the kerning to work fine in the boxes.
    You made my Easter ;-)
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by olledahl View Post
    It seems I have lost my brain, as I can't remember if, or how, to solve this problem...

I want to make a web site where I need to have the size of the window height locked.
    This requires a text box that needs to have a scroll bar if the text will overflow the permitted height.

Let's say the height is 300 px and the text requires 400 px to be read in full. How do I code this in WD 7?
    I can do it with CSS, but I can't find any way to solve it in WD 7.

Can anyone help me?
    correct answer:placeholder+<div style="overflow-y:auto;">your stuff here</div>
    IP

"Correct answer" ?!! My answer not working?
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Using an iframe allows folk to design the frame contents in WD's WYSIWYG environment. Your way doesn't - it means folk having to add all the content HTML in the placeholder and, apart from anything else, they may not know, or want to know, so much coding!
    IP

I woud agree that using an iframe would be the best choice for inserting this type of content. The placeholder can be made to be the same size as the iframe (if pixels size is used instead of %, either acceptable in the iframe code).

I recommend including the name of the iframe as part of the code as a matter of course.
    <iframe name="IFRAME1" src="contentpage.htm" width="100" height="280" frameborder="0" ></iframe>
    Scroll bars appear automatically as needed, even without including the scrolling="auto" part of the code.
    A name for the iframe helps define them, allows for more than one on a page, and ability to link to the iframe to change the content.

Typical link would look like this: (Example: Show Google home page in iframe)
    <A href="http://www.google.com" target="IFRAME1" title="Google search engine">Google</A>
    Just type the text for the link on the page, use it as a placeholder and paste in the link code.
    When the link is clicked the content of the iframe is changed to view Google home page.
    Last edited by samrc; 22 April 2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: my bad spelling....
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by samrc View Post
    Typical link would look like this: (Show Google home page in iframe)
    Yes. You can also open your links in the named iframes by entering the name of the iframe in the "Open link" field of the Link tab of the Web properties dialog.
    John.
    IP

neodeist it's not working for me! But i'm certain i must be doing something wrong... here's what i've done.

1 - in the page I want the scrolling text to appear i've created the text rectangle.
    2 - i've gone into page properties. My page is called terms and conditions and so under placeholder/replace with html code [body] i've inserted the text youve said putting 'terms_and_conditions.htm' where you've suggested 'your page'
    3 - clicked apply then OK
    4 - I then copy and paste the text i want in the new text box and hey presto.... it doesn't work.

So what exactly am I doing wrong?
    IP