Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have been experiencing a problem with clipview when applied to a complex grouping of objects. I was hoping that it was associated with the bevel related problems reported in this forum and that the new patch would solve it for me. I have downloaded the patch and am pleased to say it installs perfectly on my system. However, it does not resolve my clipview problem. I wonder if anyone else has been experiencing the same difficulties?

Specifically, the problem is that when I move the clipped view it fails to re-draw correctly (with various elements of the grouped complex object failing to appear or bits of the grouped object drawn outside the realm of the clipview). On one occasion it also crashed leaving behind a corrupted XAR file. The complex clipview group includes a moderate amount of bevels and shadows and some multi-coloured gradient fills, otherwise just a large collection of grouped objects. Prior to installing the fix the way around the problem for me was to minimise the window and then to maximise it again, thus forcing a full re-draw of the complete XAR file.

Since installing the patch, the minimise/maximise ploy causes an Acess violation exception at offset 0x020103FD.

For the past 2-3 years I have been avidly following Gary's tutorials and using Xara for producing web graphics and this is my first full 'art' project. Is what I am trying to do too complicated? Is there a simpler way of achieving what I am trying to do?

Brian

I have been experiencing a problem with clipview when applied to a complex grouping of objects. I was hoping that it was associated with the bevel related problems reported in this forum and that the new patch would solve it for me. I have downloaded the patch and am pleased to say it installs perfectly on my system. However, it does not resolve my clipview problem. I wonder if anyone else has been experiencing the same difficulties?

Specifically, the problem is that when I move the clipped view it fails to re-draw correctly (with various elements of the grouped complex object failing to appear or bits of the grouped object drawn outside the realm of the clipview). On one occasion it also crashed leaving behind a corrupted XAR file. The complex clipview group includes a moderate amount of bevels and shadows and some multi-coloured gradient fills, otherwise just a large collection of grouped objects. Prior to installing the fix the way around the problem for me was to minimise the window and then to maximise it again, thus forcing a full re-draw of the complete XAR file.

Since installing the patch, the minimise/maximise ploy causes an Acess violation exception at offset 0x020103FD.

For the past 2-3 years I have been avidly following Gary's tutorials and using Xara for producing web graphics and this is my first full 'art' project. Is what I am trying to do too complicated? Is there a simpler way of achieving what I am trying to do?

Brian

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is what I am trying to do too complicated? Is there a simpler way of achieving what I am trying to do?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian

I'm not sure what constitutes too complex, but it sounds as if you may have discovered the acceptable degree of complexity.

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try. Save the clipped objects as a separate file in case you need the full items in the future.

Convert the Clipped shape to Editable Shapes.

I think this will remove the ability to move the objects around in the clipped object (hence the need to save the elements separately) but may allow you to move the clipped shape around without problems.

Let me know if this works.

The maximize, minimize problem could be a video driver related problem.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Gary

thanks for your suggestion. You're right, what I was trying to do was to reposition the clip frame on the page, not reposition the group within the clip frame. My problem was that I wanted to zoom in and crop a group of objects and then position the cropped group on the page. My first attempt was to group the objects and then to do a combine shapes/slice shapes operation using a strategically placed cropping rectangle - but that didn't do anything at all. My next idea was to use the clipview to achieve the same thing. This did work but with the attendant re-draw problems mentioned above.

I tried your idea of converting the clipview to editable shapes and it works a treat. Lovely jubbly....which roughly translated means problem solved. Thank you.

I also checked my video driver (a Matrox G200) and although I was using the latest Microsoft Qualified version of the driver there was a later not yet certificated version of the driver on the matrox website. So, I downloaded this more recent version but, alas, it seems to have made no difference to the access violation problem.

I have uploaded the problem XAR file to my web site and it is available at Clipview Sample File if anyone has the inclination/patience to try it on a different hardware setup. I would be interested to know if anyone else experiences the same re-draw problems with this file. But beware, the file is 220K.

Brian

Brian, I downloaded your .xar file and tried moving the clipview. There were some strange things happening, sometimes everything would look fine. Other times parts would not redraw until I scrolled the entire image out of viewing range and then back. Attached is a portion of a screen capture showing the tone arm missing.

I'm using an HP Brio 500MHz Pentium II with MMX and XaraX 1.0aa (it's my PC at work, downloaded trial version to test your file)

So, it isn't just your hardware.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Sorry, the server wouldn't let me upload the attachment. I was told I wasn't the original author of the post I was attaching it too.

Hope it works this time.

I did not get an access violation.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Soquili on March 06, 2001 at 01:35 PM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clipview.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	5121  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Brian,

Tried to access your file three times with the following results:

1. In web browser, The plug-in reported a corrupt file

2. Saved to disk and when I tried to open it it crashed my PC!

3. Rebooted, launched XaraX (1.0c) and opened the file, albeit slowly. Was able to reproduce your clipview problem right away. Tried to remove the clipview and I got your 'Access violation' alert and Xarax crashed.

I think the file is corrupt. My solution the last time something like this happened to me was to open the file and try to copy various elements of it into different odcuments, save them as separate files and then try to combine them into the final clipview until I find the function that is crippling XaraX. Then you have something to report to the XaraX support team!

Good luck, it's a great drawing and a shame this problem is slowing you down.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hi Brian,

Tried to access your file three times with the following results:

1. In web browser, The plug-in reported a corrupt file

2. Saved to disk and when I tried to open it it crashed my PC!

3. Rebooted, launched XaraX (1.0c) and opened the file, albeit slowly. Was able to reproduce your clipview problem right away. Tried to remove the clipview and I got your 'Access violation' alert and Xarax crashed.

I think the file is corrupt. My solution the last time something like this happened to me was to open the file and try to copy various elements of it into different documents, save them as separate files and then try to combine them into the final clipview until I find the function that is crippling XaraX. Then you have something to report to the XaraX support team!

Good luck, it's a great drawing and a shame this problem is slowing you down.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Brian, I downloaded the file again at home and tried to load it into XaraX 1.0c. It caused an error. The following text is from the error message I got.

XARAX caused an invalid page fault in
    module XARADRAW.DLL at 0167:0301157d.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=0301157d EFLGS=00010212
    EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0062b9c4 EBP=01d62ffc
    ECX=030b4e80 DS=016f ESI=0307bf58 FS=341f
    EDX=00000000 ES=016f EDI=01d6da5c GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    8b 5d 04 85 db 79 eb 81 e3 ff ff ff 7f 89 01 89
    Stack dump:
    0300584d 03005821 00000000 01d75748 01d6da48 00000000 0062b9f0 00007d00 01788ea0 00000005 00000000 030071e5 01788dd0 01788ea0 00000005 00000000

This may help if you contact Xara Ltd. about the problem.

I can't figure out why the file didn't cause an error using 1.0aa when I downloaded the file earlier today.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Soquila and Big Frank, thanks for your help on this. At least, it seems not to be particular to my hardware/video card. I just tried your suggestion of simplifying the clipview objects and it was, I'm afraid, a bit inconclusive. The problem re-occurred whenever I added back in either the tone arm or the record label (both of which are complex objects in themselves) but I couldn't get it down to just a single item (sometimes it happened - sometimes it didn't, even when removing/re-adding the same object).

So, the lesson seems to be to keep clipviews reasonably simple. Gary's suggested work around of converting the clipview to editable shapes works fine, although there is a slight loss of detail in the centre of the record label (there is a small indentation in the centre of a vinyl record which has got lost somewhere in the clipview).

Brian