Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Man's Face

This piece was done in, what undoubtedly, is the most powerful LINE tool going. PS and all it's associates can't touch it. The Xara X line tool is an almost complete program in itself. Why? Because if you take a close look at the man's face you will see even the main fill of it was done with a LINE. I took an orchid and created my own line. By using the different widths, color and that terrific editing machine, I was able to fill the face> the hair was done by tiling the orchid, giving it a brown color. Then I applied many different types and sizes of lines along with color and transparency. The basic black line is really fantastic to use. Having digital pad, this makes sketching a true joy. One wonders, after looking at the piece if that was really done on a computer with a drawing program...it was! No scanning. I have done a couple of cartoons with X and they are very joyful to do. I'm sure that cartoonists everywhere would do wonders with it. They think they haver to stick with the 'ol'tecniques in order to get their thick/thin lines etc....not anymore..only with Mr.X can you go beyond any cartoonists special gig. Try it my friends in these areas of art...you'll become a believer!!

Bill Cleg[IMG]http://netdial.caribe.net/~cleggart/mansface[/IMG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANS_FACE.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	19321  

This piece was done in, what undoubtedly, is the most powerful LINE tool going. PS and all it's associates can't touch it. The Xara X line tool is an almost complete program in itself. Why? Because if you take a close look at the man's face you will see even the main fill of it was done with a LINE. I took an orchid and created my own line. By using the different widths, color and that terrific editing machine, I was able to fill the face> the hair was done by tiling the orchid, giving it a brown color. Then I applied many different types and sizes of lines along with color and transparency. The basic black line is really fantastic to use. Having digital pad, this makes sketching a true joy. One wonders, after looking at the piece if that was really done on a computer with a drawing program...it was! No scanning. I have done a couple of cartoons with X and they are very joyful to do. I'm sure that cartoonists everywhere would do wonders with it. They think they haver to stick with the 'ol'tecniques in order to get their thick/thin lines etc....not anymore..only with Mr.X can you go beyond any cartoonists special gig. Try it my friends in these areas of art...you'll become a believer!!

Bill Cleg[IMG]http://netdial.caribe.net/~cleggart/mansface[/IMG

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Bill - Your portrait is beautiful! When you sketch, do you set each line profile prior to drawing lines - or go back afterwards and edit the characteristics of various lines?

In several recent posts, I've been trying to encourage fellow Xarans to develop their sketching skills. I've no doubt that seeing your impressive sketch will help in the inspiration department.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

I must say that I'm mightily impressed with this drawing. It just goes to show what can be made with some imagination and the proper tools. I'm still amazed at some of the amazing things that can be created on the computer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

Hi Bill,

Excellent drawing. I admire your technique.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill - that is absolutely amazing! That style of drawing really keeps you looking at it for quite a while. All the different colours and lines just keeps your focus moving around. It made me dizzy!! - but a happy dizzy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

William, what can one say ... hard to find words worthy enough.

Thanks all..to answer a Q.- I like to just start drawing. I use a digital pad/stylus. As I begin I will pick a given line type (the black) and then I will set thickness>as I go along I will sometimes change that thickness on the spot.As I look for an effect I will vary the line etc. Xara X has a beautiful 'create line' and 'edit line'.
    These are extremely tremendous tools. I don't
    think one could ever reach the end of combinations or modifications. ie-I took a photo of one of my wife's orchids. I 'created' a line of orchids. Varying the widths etc. I filled the man's face.For his hair I tiled the orchid...it gave it a brown color. It's too bad this has to be in a JPEG file. If I could post it in XAR, you would be able to pick it apart and see it closer to see the many,many orchids in that man's face. All the other lines are varied types, widths, color etc.
    Xara X is truly amazing...
    Enjoy!
    Bill Clegg

There's more on Xaraxone Featured Artist (Feb-99)
    My URL> http://netdial.caribe.net/~cleggart

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on April 20, 2001 at 09:23 PM.

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on April 20, 2001 at 09:25 PM.]