Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

For the next version of Xara, your face should be on the startup screen instead of the old guy!

You've developed a great style. Did your technique involve incorporating bitmap copies or bitmap textures? I ask because I wonder how scalable the image is - it would probably look fantastic printed out on a large format printer.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Your portraiture is so gooooooooooooood!

I had not imagined you as a redhead!

You have a very distinctive bird-like quality, too. Hmmmmmmmmm...... wonder where that comes from?

Great work!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

I was trying for the "oil painting" look this time (it is Xara though)and so went to blending/feathering more than normal to see if it would work. Happily, it does if you want that sort of effect!
    Thanks for the compliments---my rewards for this work, and not baking in the sun over the years I guess!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Dale---I've been blond, brunette, but this is the real deal, it is genuine and suits me best anyway. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Maya, words fail me - fantastic picture!

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

"not baking in the sun over the years" - a wise choice indeed, I can't stand fried females! Maya, should you ever be single again - call me! Autumn is my favorite season too. :-)

All XX, eh? Great purism and splendid image, please tell us more about how you did it.

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

of such a stunningly beautiful woman!!!

5 stars!!!!! (that should be a new "smiley" choice!!

Words don't fail me on this one at all!!! Softness of an oil painting quality that makes the eyes wonder all over the image absorbing every moment of detail. The eyes are lovely to behold and the lips like pale apples, the cheaks with soft pink blush like that of roses and the auburn hair like that of the Phoenix that I see in my minds eye!!!

I think that Gary should ask you to be the next "Guest Tutorial" choice, I would love to see your technique from start to finish for somehting like this, or maybe this one [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] (I think the boys, especially Wolfgang [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img], would appreciate that as much as I would!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]) and NO SHORTCUTS!!

I am constantly amazed at what you are able to do with XaraX, Maya. Thanks so much for all the wonderful pieces that you share with us. Truly inspirational!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Well, I'm happy the portrait was pleasing! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I credit the great skin to my mom's genes and having a hobby like amateur astronomy---very hard to get a sunburn doing that!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Klaus--I doubt I'll be single anytime soon--my sweetie says I'm stuck with him!!!! Not that I mind!

I did the same old "lot's and lot's and lot's" of soft transparent layers as I described in previous threads, this is what most people hate to do---very heavy on the feathering this time for better blended edges...time consuming, but it works. Very subtle color changes, and a lot of colors too--a bit of all background colors and blue tints mixed into the skin...seems to make it go together better. The leaves are from looking at a wreath I made, so that's where I got the idea for the colors and leaves on that part--then just carried over my hair colors/tones into an autumn color effect overall.

Richard---you're just too kind!!! We don't need another portrait tut---that's been done superbly by Newton and Vladymir already, I've already tried to describe my process in the other threads for Nicole, and I'm not doing anything new here---just more softening/blending, as I wanted to see if it would look like oils--it's fairly close!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Thanks so much for the comments, too, Graeme!!!
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Very Nice!
    You have really captured the oil painting look. You really look good! I would imagine you look even better in person. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I just noticed you are in Oregon. I am trying to make my way up to the Portland area. Great work.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

feet their, lovely image. I have trouble drawing any portrait but a females or child's is the hardest for me unless they are old and crinkly, and that is not the case here..... good one Maya....tao

http://www.bodyworkposters.com

Very nice! It amazes me how you can get Xara to produce such painterly images. Very lovely.

--Randy R