Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default When Is A Webpage Too Big?

Hello all,
    Before I'm making the site I have a question related to this subject. Having in mind to make all the pages of the site 1260 pixels width and moreover inserting around 500 layers (each layer representing a little photo with 400x500 px) I'm a little bit questioning myself if the page will load up properly afterwards and the visitor won't have to wait days to open something. Is there a limit to the maximum popups/layers we can insert in a web page?
    Btw: the width of the page may seem larger, but when I open a site I trully enjoy pages that fills up the entire screen. Thank you.

Default Re: When Is A Webpage Too Big?

LOL, I'm replying to a ten year old post! Doh!
    Last edited by pauland; 06 April 2011 at 09:44 AM.

I'm a little bit questioning myself if the page will load up properly afterwards and the visitor won't have to wait days to open something. Is there a limit to the maximum popups/layers we can insert in a web page?
    Page loading times aren't dependent on layers or popups, but on the number of bytes in total that have to be loaded for graphics and images for the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonium View Post
    the width of the page may seem larger, but when I open a site I truly enjoy pages that fills up the entire screen.
    At that size many people will be viewing your site with scrollbars, though many will not.

I think most people will have scrollbars. Users of larger monitors may not use Full Screen for their web browser.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I've farmed this new post and its replies into its own thread. Replying to a ten year old thread is the worst case I've seen of thread necromancy, so I put that back to rest.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Users of larger monitors may not use Full Screen for their web browser.
    Hy,
    I really don't understand why not. If everyone is running for choosing the largest and wider monitor available on the market, they end by prefearing to view their webpages in the mobile phone display style? What the hell? Why not to make use of the entire screen? That's the purpose afterwards. It makes no sense.

PS: (TIP): Those that will have scrollbars at the bottom of their pages, they simply can shrinker their pages in Firefox or Explorer by holding "Ctrl" button and scrolling down/up.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyF View Post
    I've farmed this new post and its replies into its own thread. Replying to a ten year old thread is the worst case I've seen of thread necromancy, so I put that back to rest.
    Necromancy......
    Why?! Do you think the person who started the thread may be dead by now? He/she may be alive and any day can respond to his/her message if he/she chooses so.

Well I am using a lower resolution screen (laptop 1024x768) at present, but I very often use the computer with several programs open at the same time. If you have a large enough screen then you might reduce the size of your program windows so that you can view several of them simultaneously (without the need to click on tabs or use keyboard controls to swap between views).

Many websites now are fixed or have a max width applied. Generally I think because as screens get wider then this may cause issues with the layout (ie having some paragraphs as one long line of text; which makes them less easy to read). All of which is another reason that someone might reduce the dimensions of a browser window, when viewing fluid sites or ones that have a fixed width page anyway.

Regards

Su

Quote Originally Posted by Antonium View Post
    Hy,
    I really don't understand why not. If everyone is running for choosing the largest and wider monitor available on the market, they end by prefearing to view their webpages in the mobile phone display style? What the hell? Why not to make use of the entire screen? That's the purpose afterwards. It makes no sense.

PS: (TIP): Those that will have scrollbars at the bottom of their pages, they simply can shrinker their pages in Firefox or Explorer by holding "Ctrl" button and scrolling down/up.

Necromancy......
    Why?! Do you think the person who started the thread may be dead by now? He/she may be alive and any day can respond to his/her message if he/she chooses so.
    Most people that buy large monitors do so to allow many open windows without obstructing each other not so they have one larger view of one application.

Necromany because a 10 year old thread was resurrected. That thread had served it's use, better forum etiquette to start a new thread than resurrect a "dead" thread. Technology has progressed a lot in 10 years so any new query should be in a thread of it's own.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update