Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can You Set Export Options on Multiple Slices at Once?

Does anybody know if there is a way to set the options for a slice (from the Name Gallery when Exports is selected in the dropdown) on multiple items at once? I find it very tedious when I have a dozen or so images I want to export and I have to set them all one at a time.

Alternatively, it would at least be easier if I could even set up default options so when I create a new Name object, it could default to my preferred settings. It defaults to GIF right now.

Thanks

Default Re: Can You Set Export Options on Multiple Slices at Once?

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I am not really sure why you feel the need to slice. This method made sense when dial up was the norm and people had large complex sites. I am not sure the reason for using sliced pages is really valid any more. Kind of like using web safe colors.

I don't really use Xara as a WYSIWYG editor to just export everything as is. I usually work on sites with dynamic content and if I want a drop shadow on an expanding div, I have to use tiling image files. So I create a rectangle, feather it, give it some transparency, then slice it into 3 - top, middle and bottom. The middle slice tiles to expand to any size div. I like Xara, but it's slicing capabilities are quite frustrating when compared to Fireworks.

Another issue I'm finding is that it's a mystery to me how big the slice will be - it doesn't remain true to the size of the object I base my slice on. 4 pixels by 4 pixels should export as such, yet it may export as 5x4 or 6x4 with an irrelavent row of transparent pixels on one or more sides. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

You must have your objects position pixel aligned and whole piles size. Otherwise you may get some antialiasing pixels.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    You must have your objects position pixel aligned and whole piles size. Otherwise you may get some antialiasing pixels.
    I made a point of placing guides on exact whole integer positions before creating my objects so that both x and y as well as height and width values are all integers. I thought that should do it, but no. What solved the problem for me was to create a transparent rectangle representing my export area but create the coloured rectangle behind it and make sure the coloured rectangle extends beyond the export area. That seems to resolve my problem, but it's not ideal. In the attached image, the export area is contained within the guides. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_guides.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	80933

The problem may be with the lines. If you draw a shape snapping to the guidelines or grid that is pixel aligned, the actual size of the resulting object may be larger due to the added line width (the line follows the shape, so that the shape nodes are in the middle of it, and as they are aligned with guides, the half of the line overhangs the shape).
    John.

Thank you for your input, Covoxer. Yes, one of my first thoughts was that I must have set the line thickness to something other than 'None', but I did in fact set it to 'None', so I don't see why an object without any line width should have these problems. You used the phrase 'pixel aligned' twice and I'm wondering if you're referring to a specific setting, property or option that I'm unaware of. I assumed you meant placing the guidelines at whole integer positions, but perhaps there's something else you're referring to?

Nothing special. The object is pixel aligned (as I call it) when it has a whole pixel coordinates. Same with size. There are several ways to achieve it. Snapping to the pixel grid is generally a good idea. However it may not always produce expected results. So keep an eye on the property bar to see if object position and size is whole pixels. You can correct it by entering required numbers manually.
    John.

BTW Slicing is also a lovely way to irritate those people that want to steal site content. They may get several pieces but they have to manually paste them back together to get a complete pic. I had some people email me from my site years ago that I had been nasty to do that to a particular graphic (48 pieces). I had done it to help downloading, not to be mean. But I laughed. Found it quite amusing that someone trying to steal my content would admit to it then get mad at me. LOL
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)