Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I would like to export from XaraX into a DTP package (Adobe Indesign), so that I have scaleable vector graphics. Can anyone advise on what is the best export format to use.
    In a similar vein, if I want to export a raster graphic (eg Tiff) into Indesign, for print, can it be done without getting the antialiasing.

I would like to export from XaraX into a DTP package (Adobe Indesign), so that I have scaleable vector graphics. Can anyone advise on what is the best export format to use.
    In a similar vein, if I want to export a raster graphic (eg Tiff) into Indesign, for print, can it be done without getting the antialiasing.

Rennie

The Corel CMX format is one of the best to exchange data with other apps., however Indesign may not support it. Fortunately, X has improved AI export which may be your best option, although don't expect it to be totally trouble free. Many of Xara's best effects will have to transferred as bitmaps.

To export without anti-aliasing, wind down the on-screen control or select Window > Quality > Normal.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

My DTP app is Ventura. Thus far, I've found that CMX is the best format for importing Xara vector images. That's partly due to CMX's being Ventura's native graphic format. Depending on the image, I've also had good results with WMF and EMF.

AI may be more native to InDesign.

Either way, Sean is right that many of Xara's special capabilities get lost in the translation.

When I need a Xara image that has those special effects, I import it as a bitmap and use text wrap to shape the text around it.

Allison

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Rennie,

your best choice will be a large tif - you can scale it down if necessary, and you will avoid the eps hassle with embedded fonts etc.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

jay> your best choice will be a large tif

you are right,
    this is my way in CorelXara, but Xara X says:
    out of memory. (my machine has got 384 MB RAM)
    CorelXara 1.1a (unfortunately the only german version as far as I know) does it with the _very same_ file, so it can't be hardware restriction.

ideas anyone?

Has anyone got ideas on exporting CMYK TIFF's?

It's a real pain exporting twice, first all black-and-white content for the K channel of CMYK, second all "colored" things, doing conversion in Photoshop afterwards, and then merging both.

I need CMYK TIFF's for my offset printing service.

Thanks,
    Michel

Thanks guys - I had some problems using the AI filter. In the end I just did the whole document in XaraX, which worked fine. It was a fairly simple image I was trying to transfer, but some text was involved, so maybe that was the cause.
    I must admit I was surprised that I experienced a problem, because I used to transfer vector graphics regularly between packages on an Atari!!