Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I use soft groups to make buttons?

I know that there is something that needs to be done with soft grouping to make buttons, but I don't understand the process. It seems like soft grouping an object or two doesn't actually do anything. I've been making individual layers for each mouse over button for a while now, instead of understanding how to use the mouse over layer and soft grouping. But some of my web pages are starting to get a bit full from creating so many individual layers. I really should figure out how to properly soft group and make buttons.

So, you guys think you can help me out with this?

Default Re: How do I use soft groups to make buttons?

Hi Spireguy

Create a button on the MouseOff layer. Group the text and the rectangle.

Copy the button to the clipboard (Ctrl c), in the Page and Layers Gallery, select the MouseOver layer and Edit > Paste in Place.

Make your changes to this button (the mouse over button).

Select the MouseOff layer.

Using the Selector Tool (the arrow pointer), drag a selection rectangle around both buttons. The status bar on the lower left area of the screen should say, "Two groups on two layers selected."

From the Arrange menu, select Apply Soft Group. This applies a group across two layers.

Click the Link icon on the Infobar and in the URL text entry box, key in #. Press Apply. The pound sign just loads the current page and this is a good way to test your button to see if it is working.

I've attached a test button so you can dissect it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: How do I use soft groups to make buttons?

Thanks for the help this makes things easier. I think what I was missing was the common connection on URL.