Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question File behavior of Web Designer

The question I was working on was if there was any change in Web Designer 7 Premium that would allow pages to be worked on, saved, and uploaded individually. In looking through the forum, I think I found my answer. But is there a simple explanation as to why all pages are saved in one file and then must be re-exported and re-uploaded each time only one page has been worked on? I have used the big "D" adobe product in the past but moved to Xara because it is much more intuitive and easier to work with. I get more of what I want with less confusion. But I did like being able to work with one file and then only having to change that one file on the server.

Default Re: File behavior of Web Designer

Think of the .web file the same way as a mulitpage .doc file, multipage .pdf and so on.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Welcome to TalkGraphics

In theory, if you make changed on one page of your document, and publish, from WD7, then only those changes are made.

The .web file is your document which is different from your HTML files.

The way Xara works when you publish is Xara creates all the HTML pages and then creates a folder that is named after your home page. So if you name your home page index.html, then Web Designer creates a folder called index_html_files. All of your non-HTML files go in this folder: bitmaps, linked files such as PDF, Flash movies, MP4 videos, java script files, style sheet, etc.

Web Designer and Designer reference this folder.

So you do not have to edit the HTML document.

I have worked on a site in which I was making several changes a day and everything published very quickly.

But, you cannot just manually publish one HTML page because often the image files are renamed and if you do this you get a dog's breakfast on the screen when you view the site in a browser.

Thanks. I am used to using a third party FTP program and so was doing that to update (re-upload) all the files to the server after changes were made to my site. Overwrote all the changed files so that I did get the correct appearance. I guess I'll have to try publishing directly from WD7P. Old dog, new trick, no "breakfast".