Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XWD7 compatibility with XDP6

Hi,

I've been using XDP6 since July, XWD 5 before that, wonderful stuff. After looking at promo for upgrade to XWD7P, bought that yesterday. Saw some cool features, assumed they'll be in next release of XDP, so wanted to familiarize in advance. Looks great, but I expect I'll mostly continue using XDP6.

Now ... if I want to incorporate a new feature from XWD7 in a site already built with XDP6, i.e. sitemap, or maybe some link transition controls, can I just open the existing file with XWD7P and use the new feature(s)? If so, will that mean I can't go back and work on the same file with XDP6 without screwing up the new feature(s) that aren't supported by XDP6? Sorry for all the alphabet soup ... easier than writing out the names in full.

Related question ... now that both programs are on my laptop, I get a question on startup of XDP6 ... it tells me I'm not registered for .web files, and asks if I want to do that. If I choose "Yes" will the program then work with both .web and .xar files? I believe I saw a similar question when firing up XWD7, asking if I wanted to register it for .xar files. I can't find an explanation of what these choices will do for me (or to me).

Thanks! And I'm looking forward to the next release of XWD!!!

Default Re: XWD7 compatibility with XDP6

Don't know about back-'n-forth compatibility with XDP6. You'd have to test to see if effects like Presentations survive the round trip.
    The .web registration makes WD7 the default program that will open .web files... like if you click on a .doc file, it will open in Microsoft Word (or whatever other program you have set - registered - it to open with.
    Clicking on a .web file in Windows file Explorer will open it in WD7, after you've registered WD7 to be the default .web file opener.
    Setting .web files to open in WD7 doesn't mean they won't open in XDP6... you'll just have to open them from the File > Open menu. Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Anderson View Post
    can I just open the existing file with XWD7P and use the new feature(s)?
    Yes.
    will that mean I can't go back and work on the same file with XDP6 without screwing up the new feature(s) that aren't supported by XDP6?
    Yes.
    John.

I cannot switch between to the two if I use LIVE EFFECTS feature of XDP6 which is not included in XWD7P - it crashes.

Thanks to all three of you who replied ... I appreciate the quick feedback!

Jon404 ... I always open from file menu, so it won't affect me, but have wondered about this ever since I had both Xtreme and XWD on my old laptop, and got the same message. Hadn't seen it on new laptop, as I'd only had XDP6 installed until I got XWD7.

John/Covoxer ... you clarified what I suspected, can go forward but not back ... saved me finding out by trial & error. I'm assuming that if I use XWD7 now, and incorporate some new features, they'll be supported in the next release of XDP (7, I presume).

Simanticus ... saved me from attempting to use XWD7 on one of the XDP6 sites I had in mind, as it uses Live Effects.