Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can Videos Play inside of a Frame?

Hello,

I am wanting to have a scrolling area of videos and after searching the forum I decided to try using frames to accomplish this.

I have a sparate page where the videos are on and then made a placeholder with the frame code.

Everything looks great but the video player is non-active.

Am I trying to do something that is not possible with frames?

Here is the link to the page - http://watchmymvp.com/test.htm

Thanks for your input

Default Re: Can Videos Play inside of a Frame?

I have successfully placed videos and other content on a page which loaded in an iframe. But have not tried it with Xara products...
    Not sure what is going on.

Firefox works as expected.

Internet Explorer: Problem
    When I arrived at your page, I had a rectangle that was transparent gray above the videos.
    Appeared as though there was a shield blocking the videos. Clicked it and it went away.
    Have cleared temp internet files reloaded page but can not get that back again, yet the videos do not play.
    No cursor change to show clickable content. Access is being blocked. Either by IE or by webpage content unkown.
    Tested the videos from the content page and they work properly so the issue is definitely on the page with iframe or browser.
    Last edited by samrc; 01 April 2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: resolution found
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Thanks for looking. I have placed a rectangle with a transparent fill to help the cosmetic appearance. Maybe it is 'covering' the video layer. I will remove and check. Thanks

Update - Thanks for your input. I removed the rectangle and just put some lines to cover the edge of the frame and all works now.

Changed the link to the homepage - http://watchmymvp.com/

Thank you

Great use of an iframe!
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Hey Thanks. Very easy to do. Xara is such a great tool for my business.

Just noticed your comment about adding lines to cover the edge of the frame.
    Why not just set the frame border to invisible? Simply adjust your iframe code in your placeholder.

Current code:
    <iframe src ="http://watchmymvp.com/homepage-examples.htm" width="100%" height="100%">
    Change it to:
    <iframe src ="http://watchmymvp.com/homepage-examples.htm" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%">
    frameborder="1" = 3d cut edge default iframe behavior even without it being specified in the code.
    frameborder="0" = invisible edge blends content page seamlessly into iframe page

Lots of iframe examples explained and demonstrated on this page.
    Last edited by samrc; 02 April 2011 at 05:03 AM.
    -Samantha

Very good info there
    I guess you didn't make that page in Xara?

Could you tell me the difference between using 'name' and 'id' ?
    AFAIK 'name' is deprecated (or will be?)?

Actually, "name" attribute is being kept in HTML 5 and will move forward as the identification of the frame for specifying links to change content.
    HTML 5 will also also continue to support "id" which is a global attribute which can be applied to many objects, including iframes.

This is the basic iframe with a name applied starting on a page called iframe_content.htm
    <iframe src="iframe_content.htm" name="iframe1"></iframe>
    And this code would cause a link to open in that iframe:
    <a href="http://www.talkgraphics.com" target="iframe1">Xara Graphics and Web Design Forum</a>
    The "frameborder" attribute will be eventually replaced with "seamless" attribute but since HTML 4 is still the most used, it is still viable for quite sometime to come.
    Since the frame is normally seen, it makes more sense to just specify when you want to turn it off.

I am excited that "sandbox" will be an attribute to specify the types of actions that will be performed in the iframe.
    Sadly, the scrolling feature is being dropped. There are times I have specifically wanted to turn off scroll bar and that will no longer be supported..

That page/site was build long before Xara came out with Web Designer or offered HTML options. Originally it was specifically designed to show how iframes could work with another site builder I was using and tutoring on, but grew over time and is pretty popular in forums. I plan on revising the page with some more samples and addressing HTML 5 changes at some point. May do that with Xara Design Premium. Am really enjoying working with this program...
    Last edited by samrc; 03 April 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added sample code
    -Samantha

Thanks
    Nice to know that 'name' will not disappear, but very surprising/disappointing that scrolling will be dropped