Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation REQUEST: Purge Memory in Options

I have been working on some very large maps; lots of overlays, large bitmap backgroup, lots of layers, 3 to 4 pages per file, and intricate curves (roads, rivers, waterhshed boundaries, etc.).

I have been getting "out of memory" alerts which doesn't surprise me but it does require closing files and Xara to "flush" the memory.

I am hoping that there could be a "PURGE" button in Options > TuneUps > Cache Control to flush the memory so that the user wouldn't have to restart Xara.

I know Google Earth has a purge function; hopefully, Xara might be able to do something similar.

Default Re: REQUEST: Purge Memory in Options

I totally agree. I've been working on a project with multiple large files open together (I had to jump between files often). I would get out of memory often and have to close Xara to flush it, even though my resource meter said I had plenty of memory left. Is there a way to allow Xara to utilize more of the existing memory? Would increasing system RAM allow Xara to use more? Is memory usage capped at a specific amount, or a percentage of available memory?

Jim

Jim I agree a purge button would be an amazing addition, along with Xara getting beyond the 16000 pixel export limitation
    why not 32000 or 64000, photoshop is able to do this why not Xara?
    with it's awesome vector capabilities, and how you can design things so quickly
    this would be a welcome upgrade!

I have overcome some of the limitations to a point
    like i have designed 40 ft banners starting by making a rectangle add shapes,then add vector lettering exporting as compressed LZW tiffs
    at 40 dpi, and they look very nice, probably not as crisp as an uncompressed tiff, but i have never had any complaints, the output to large format printers like Roland looked great!
    but currently, xara will not let you export an uncompressed tiff at this size at 72dpi or above without crashing.
    just some thoughts this would be a real game changer for Xara if they could achieve this.
    because i could never design as quickly in photoshop as i can in my all time favorite vector design program.
    I know i talk about the export limitation a lot but it is a long time coming don't you think?
    Last edited by jnerf; 01 April 2011 at 02:13 AM.

Hi Jnerf you have just hijacked a thread with nothing really to do with the purge request! I would say to the purge request is that is what Adobe's Acro Pro is for. I would use that programme to combine the PDF's into layers rather than using Xara to ask it toil through multi-layered doc. so just export each layer as PDF. Before anyone one says anything, I know it is expensive to buy but you will wonder what you did without it before long, a most under rated programme.
    Design is thinking made visual.