Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help with Linking to a File in a Folder

Hello,

I am trying to link to a file that going to be password protected on the server side. I have the folder with the file in it setup and uploaded to my server. I have placed a "link to Web or E-mail address" link in Xara but the link does not work.

I am getting a "page not found" error. Pulling my hair out here. Thanks for your help to show me what I am missing.

I can't use "link to file" as the file will go to the "index_html files folder and I will not be able to password protect it.

Default Re: Help with Linking to a File in a Folder

I hope you have enough hair to pull out. Not everyone does, you know.

I password protect the folder using Coffee Cup Website Access Manager. There are other product that do the same thing. So if you want to protect the entire site, password protect the root directory. If you want only a portion of a site protected, then publish that portion to a password protected folder. You will have to link to the folder instead of the page. If your website is mywebsite.com and you want to protect the animals page or section, publish a separate website with index.html and index_html_files folder to a folder called animals and link to mywebsite.com/animals. The two files .access.pwd and .htaccess go inside the folder.

Thanks Gary but I am trying to password protect a download. So when a user clicks on the download button the file they want to download needs to be protected. I would like to just go to my server and setup the folder to be protected but Xara is not letting me link to the file even without the password engaged.

Should I be using a special way to link to a file without the file being in the index_html folder?

Hello, I am sorry to push the issue here but I need to deliver this change and what seems so simple just is not working. Makes me wonder if this is a special workaround for Xara. In Dreamweaver a link to a file's location is remembered where Xara is built around adding all files to the Index_html folder. Looking at the link dialogue there is no mention of linking to a file that will not be in the Index_html folder.

I would rather not build separate pages just to be able to put the file in a separate folder. Here is the page I am talking about. http://www.thepivarals.com/presskit.htm

If one looks at the bottom of the browser where the path of a link is shown everything looks in order but the file is not found.

Thanks for your input