Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Web Designer 7

Hi, Does anyone know if websites created in v6 Web Designer be able to be opened and edited in v7? I've got several websites created with v6 and need to know if compatible.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

Yes you can open your .web files created with Web Designer 6 and edit them in Web Designer 7.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I think the way the question is phrased, Phil means, "Can you open the HTML and edit it?". The short answer, Phil, is you can open the original Web file in version 7 and edit it and re-export the site, but Web Designer doesn't support editing of sites themselves that already have been exported.

My Best,

Gary

You are probably right Gary. English and I are not always on speaking terms.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I didn't mean to come off snarky or anything, Bill—it's just that it appears to be an ongoing question, that is born from a misunderstanding that Xara Web Designer and Graphics Designer are site building apps, but they are not HTML editors like DreamWeaver is.

My Best,

Gary

Gary I know you were not being snarky, sorry if my post made you think that was what I thought.

I honestly had not thought about anyone thinking Web Designer could edit html.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Of course only Phil actually knows what he means. I took it that seeing how the sites were built in XWP6, that he has the web file(s) available to edit in XWP7.

fwiw, there are a couple applications that can load an entire site of html produced by Xara products and edit at that level if ever needed. I have. Even transitions, which are javascript, port over well. This was done for fun, not because I needed to. Rather, just to see if they can be should I ever need to using one of my other site building apps.

Take care, Mike

Can you name these apps Mike? I'm curious

Hi Shape,

I use MS Expression Web for some sites I am working on. Database connectivity for one reason (which is actually done in a freebie from MS called MS Visual Studio 2010 Express and once designed, finishing up in Expression).

But even Kompozer will open most and the layout is intact, including the javascript stuff.

Take care, Mike

Great. I grabbed the portable version of Kompozer -- http://portableapps.com/apps/development/nvu_portable
    Could be useful in an emergency -- thanks