Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Adding new content to website & creating an icon?

OK Now it can be revealed. New Web Designer 7 Premium (http://www.xaraxone.com/webxealot/workbook87/index.html) can create a favicon. You create the image in a square and convert it to bitmap. In Web Designer 7, add the Name favicon (yellow name tag icon). When you export the site Xara creates a favicon to the right size (even if yours is not). You can see the favicon that was created when I exported my review.

You can also create a sitemap for your site and a robots.txt file which help identify your content to the search engines.

Just don't have the money for it 'yet'. I am thinking about taking the premium version. But, i still have a problem with the favicon in xara wd6.

Do you have any ideas what's wrong?

As to favicon: I create a graphic in my Xara product 32x32px, group it, then export to a .png image.
    Open that in another program called Irfanview (free image viewer I use instead of the windows viewer because of options).
    File save as favicon.ico Then use FTP to upload the favicon.ico image into the main directory of the website. Whereever your index.htm page is, that is where you should place your favicon.ico file.
    Never capitalize or change anything about that name.
    Once it is up on the site, you will have better luck viewing immediately with FireFox than Internet Explorer.
    IE stores favicons in Temp files and they can be wiped out or not added in if you have a shortcut to that page already.

If you have already stored your shortcut link to your website in your favorites, remove it.
    Close IE, come back in and set a new favorites link.
    That sometimes forces IE to bring the image into your computer.
    Close the browser, reopen and you MAY see the favicon now.
    Note that favicons are finicky in only IE. Other browsers do not store the ico formats in the temp files where they can be easily and mistakenly dumped.
    Last edited by samrc; 23 March 2011 at 06:30 PM.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Quote Originally Posted by vanderwhite View Post
    Just don't have the money for it 'yet'. I am thinking about taking the premium version. But, i still have a problem with the favicon in xara wd6.

Do you have any ideas what's wrong?
    Your favicon must be an .ico file. If you are using a .png, .gif, or other image format it will not work.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

The favicon has to be uploaded to the root directory where your index.htm(l) document is.

This is slightly different in Web Designer 7 because the favicon is placed in the index_html_files folder and somehow WD7 gets it where it needs to be. Perhaps a reference in the style sheet?

Samantha, I would expect the same tools to appear in Designer 7. But if last year is any indication, Designer 6 was not released until June and it could be a bit later this year because now that Web Designer is released, the r&d people need to take a deep breath and then get started putting Designer 7 together.

Thanks, i will try it now and let you know..

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    But if last year is any indication, Designer 6 was not released until June and it could be a bit later this year because now that Web Designer is released, the r&d people need to take a deep breath and then get started putting Designer 7 together.
    I wish they had an upgrade path for us DesignerPro users too, that allowed us to preorder the upgrade - and allowed us to use the WD7 Premium while we're waiting...

I am glad that XDP will contain the new features and that it will be a while before it is available...better for budget (or lack thereof
    Last year I upgraded my XWD from 5 to 6 then when Xara Xtreme Pro 5 become XDP6 I upgraded that program too.
    And decided I would drop that product and stay with XDP going forward as long as the web features continue to evolve.
    (The individual object selection from the layer/page gallery make it worth while for me, even if I didn't need any other of the pro features. I missed that in web designer!)
    Last edited by samrc; 24 March 2011 at 02:49 AM.
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)