Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Post Many of my links to an anchor on another page don't work

I have several pages containing two or more articles and have created anchor points by naming the titles of the articles. When I then link to them from another page, only the anchors on one of the pages actually work the way they should. For the rest, the name of the page I'm linking from gets substituted for the name of the page containing the anchor point.

As I was writing this, I realized that all of the problem pages contain a hyphen in their file name. Is this a bug in the handling of anchor point links?

Default Re: Many of my links to an anchor on another page don't work

A link to an anchor usually will not work if the place in the text where the anchor is added is not a full page of text if that makes any sense.

If your text fills three screens for example, and you are linking to the first screen (without scrolling) the link just loads the page. If the anchor is out of site of the first screen, but there is another screen of content below the anchor, then the link will scroll to the correct place.

I am not sure about the hyphen (dash). But there is one sure way to find out. Try the anchor without the dash.

Also, you have to name the anchor. If you are linking to a subhead in text or a word, highlight the text, press the yellow tag icon on the Infobar, press New and add a name. Then use the Link to Anchor option in the Link dialog.

Thanks for considering my situation Gary. I did try taking the dashes out and that wasn't the problem. What is happening isn't about going to the wrong spot on the target page - the system isn't even going to the target page at all. For example, I have a link on the page named webtalk.htm refering to an anchor point named whoownsyou on the page cautions.htm. The generated link is .../webtalk.htm#whoownsyou which doesn't do anything since it never gets off the original page where the link is. The strange thing is that a second anchor point on the cautions.htm page named dontpromoteyourcompetition gets reached just fine.
    So it isn't using dashes in the page names and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the length of either the page name or the anchor point name. Any other ideas as to what might be going wrong or what I might try to resolve this issue?

Have you tried using the Name Gallery to see if you may have used the name/anchor more than once?