Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WebP Support

pgd6 WebP Support

google is doing it's damnedest to make pictures load faster on the internet by developing a new image format caled WebP
    http://code.google.com/speed/webp/

I guess you Xara developers are all over this and are currently playing with ways to integrate it in your apps. right? :: nudge nudge ::

the order of symbolic measures

Default Re: WebP Support

Is webp supported by other browsers?

I doubt webp will catch on until a lot of browsers accept it and a lot of graphic editors can generate and read it. This is the first time I have ever heard of it.

It is currently supported by Chrome and Opera. No word yet on other browsers picking it up. It seems like an interesting project, and although I am biased against lossy compression, personally, I can see the value of developing it if they can get it looking better than JPEG.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I Believe that all major browsers now use webp, its the way to go apparently, as the file size is much better than jpg or png.
    Xara needs to do this.

I was told on the hush, that Google are looking to implement website rankings scores, that favor webp by the end of 2021, no idea if that's true, only what I heard.
    Last edited by Ore; 05 December 2020 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Felt like it

Interesting that this thread is from 2011 and now this format is widely used, especially by major news sites. It is time for Xara to add this format to their products.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Interesting that this thread is from 2011 and now this format is widely used, especially by major news sites. It is time for Xara to add this format to their products.
    Indeedy, time for them to upgrade the software asap

I'm surprised that this isn't supported - BUT, this can and is implemented on the server-side. For example, siteground have this built-in, they serve WebP versions of your images to compatible browsers, the jpeg version is still there if needed. I'm sure there are plenty of other hosting company's which offer this.

Edit - I think that may be only applicable to WordPress sites. Plus Google only cares about the speed, not the format used.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    I'm surprised that this isn't supported - BUT, this can and is implemented on the server-side. For example, siteground have this built-in, they serve WebP versions of your images to compatible browsers, the jpeg version is still there if needed. I'm sure there are plenty of other hosting company's which offer this.

Edit - I think that may be only applicable to WordPress sites. Plus Google only cares about the speed, not the format used.
    Interesting, my site is hosted with siteground, I am not aware of the ability to use webp images, will have to look into that, although I suspect I would need to configure the site some how to use the webp images, and not just upload webp copys.