Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Newbie Problem...

Hi, I am new to Xara so apologies if these seem like silly questions (I am sure I will have quite a few!).

My background is print design, I have never built a website due to my inability to learn html but Xara seems to have solved this.

I have started on my first project with some graphics I have previously made in AI. I have converted them to Jpeg, and saved for web & devices. When I import them in to xara they are smaller than the design size (I suspect thats normal) and they don't seem to have kept their quality (or is this just my "print eyes"?).

I am probably saving the wrong quality settings but I am a little confused with file sizes per page and maintaining a quick loading page.

I suspect I have a lot to learn, and that this subject has been dealt with before, so either links or advice would be gratefully received. Also does anyone have a link to a tutorial where I can follow site being designed from start to finish, and probably helps with my print hang-ups!

Many Thanks
    ANdy

Default Re: Newbie Problem...

Hi Andy,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

The smaller size when imported into Xara Web Designer or Xara Designer Pro is caused by AI using an extremely outdated 72 dpi rather than the more current 96 dpi. You can compensate by making your work 33% larger in AI or by scaling up to 133% within Xara.

As for the quality, what values are you using when exporting from AI? Jpeg images always have some loss in quality due to the lossy image compression algorithm that is part of the jpeg specification.

Export as .png which uses a lossless compression algorithm.

Once you have your images within Xara you can then Optimize them before exporting to your web project.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Newbie Problem...

Thanks Soquili,

Yes a png seems to retain much better quality. However it is 44kb, how much can I actually go up to in order to maintain a decently loading website.

Regards

Andy