Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Organizing and Linking Pages in a Large Website

I can use robots for some of the pages but i think there is a reason to use no follows instead...but i cannot remember why.

I will look into adding the no follows through placeholders...not sure what that does to a text link or maybe i will try turning the text link into a .png?

If you are doing any SEO work check out this video and this website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sw4_AlxM3Q

http://www.bruceclay.com/web_rank.htm

Silo's work great for larger websites and the same process can be applied to smaller sites. I am an html novice but I have a lot of experience with Google Maps and White Hat SEO for Google Organic results. If you ever need free help with an SEO project just let me know.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Dirtwad; 16 March 2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add links

So what exactly is Silo doing then? Didn't find too much info, and nothing abot that rel= parameter (didn't look very much around though...)
    Looks like the point is to remove/hide lots of cross-linking from the robots between pages on large sites? Lots of cross-links causes the causes the pages to get lower ranking?
    I'm not so sure that spending a lot of time with SEO is time well spent. It looks like Google etc are changing their algorithms every now and then to counteract for all the "tricks"?

Just a note:

When using seperate directories you don't have to name everything index.htm
    You can name it WhatEverYouLike.htm
    The only time I use index.htm for subdirectories is if I want something like
    WebDesignerTemplate.com/Specials to be the URL address.
    Then I would use index.htm in the sub and it will go directly to Specials directory without having to show it in the address.
    But Beware... You have to be very careful when using more than one index.htm
    You could easily screw up your home page!
    I was born outside the box! - Aridzone
    WebDesignerTemplate

Quote Originally Posted by aridzone View Post
    Just a note:

When using seperate directories you don't have to name everything index.htm
    You can name it WhatEverYouLike.htm
    The only time I use index.htm for subdirectories is if I want something like
    WebDesignerTemplate.com/Specials to be the URL address.
    Same here - which means about every time it's possible

Quote Originally Posted by bjornkn View Post
    So what exactly is Silo doing then? Didn't find too much info, and nothing abot that rel= parameter (didn't look very much around though...)
    Looks like the point is to remove/hide lots of cross-linking from the robots between pages on large sites? Lots of cross-links causes the causes the pages to get lower ranking?
    I'm not so sure that spending a lot of time with SEO is time well spent. It looks like Google etc are changing their algorithms every now and then to counteract for all the "tricks"?
    It is not as much a trick to manipulate Googles algorythms but rather a logical way to organize your website in a manner that Google can better crawl and understand your sites topic and content value.

In short, you choose your main keywords and make these keywords the titles of your landing pages - These are 'Silos' or folders attached directly under your main page. These Silo pages are then supported by your additional pages but only the pages that are on the same topic. The no follow links are used to keep the crawlers from attaching a Silo or a page that supports the Silo to a non relevant page like the About, Contact, Privacy pages. Further, it is important to avoid attaching the supporting pages to one another unless they support the specific keyword in that Silos landing page.

This not only helps keep the crawl directed through your main message but also prevents your pages from bleeding page juice to lesser important pages. In the end your site will increase it's page rank. A good example of sites that have achieved this are some of the big ones..like youtube, cnn and rottentomatoes. Search for any of those in Google and look at how they are listed. You will see the effects of the Silo structure in the listing. Under each listing you should see 8 Silo topics.

Here are a couple of better links that explain the Silo process.

http://www.wolf-howl.com/seo/how-to-silo-your-website/

http://www.tech-seeker.com/blog/adva...-and-nofollow/

I will be experimenting with this process on a few large sites and some smaller ones. I'll post the results when finished.
    Last edited by Dirtwad; 18 March 2011 at 04:53 AM. Reason: clarified

I have rather a cynical view about this SEO stuff, including Silo. Fairly simple concepts seem to become long "explanatory" videos that would convince any non-professional that they needed some SEO professional to do this stuff for them to be able to have any chance of a popular site. The SEO industry is particularly adept at spin.

I place SEO people in the same league as "Carpet Baggers" and "Snake Oil Salesmen", or to put it into a more 20th century phrasing they are as honest as a "Used Car Salesman".
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    they are as honest as a "Used Car Salesman".
    Clearly an SEO fanboy... ;-)

You betcha
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update