Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Web site problem

I make up most of the ads and other graphics and the web site for a small monthly paper.

Have had problems with the web site for some time trying to use WD6 Pro - gave up and went back to XX5.

Today, I made some changes to the site and have spent all afternoon trying to get things the way I wanted they. For some reason, I would go to "web properties" and check "link to" and select the page I wanted the link to go to but it would not hold - when I did the same for several more links and then when back to check them the only one that showed a link was the last one I did. I fooled with this for over an hour and closed down XX5 and opened the site in WD6, set the links and all worked fine.

Since I can not upload from WD6 - have NEVER been able to upload from WD6 - I saved and closed and opened in XX5 again. Previewed site and all is well. But it took 4 uploads before the site came up as designed - the first time all kinds of strange things going on but each of the other uploads the site became more and more as designed until the 4th time everything is right.

Now, all the links work as designed but on some of the popup pages the page is not clear - Others are tack sharp.

All the pages are made up the same way, all saved the same way - why are some clear and others not?

The site is - www.floridacommunitynews.com

Tks - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Default Re: Web site problem

The images on the mouseover layer need to be aligned properly
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

As John said - misalignment of all the buttons.

Rather stunned as to the way those pages are made up. They are almost all images of the page, rather than a mix of text and graphics. For a website the page images are very big.

I suspect that any blurring is caused by a combination of small text and/or stretching. You can't expect small text sizes to be pin sharp.

Incidentally, at first I thought there was some mistake on the home page, until I realised I had to scroll down to find any navigation . Most websites avoid that kind of placement.

The pages are as sent to the printer and they come out tack sharp in print. Also, these same pages were put up on the first of the month and there have been no changes in anything on that page - until I uploaded them again today, they were all as sharp as the other pages.

And the alignment of the buttons has what to do with the sharpness of some pages? - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Might do
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

The pages are as sent to the printer and they come out tack sharp in print.
    OK, but you wouldn't be using the same size (DPI) images for printing as displaying on a web page.

Also, these same pages were put up on the first of the month and there have been no changes in anything on that page - until I uploaded them again today, they were all as sharp as the other pages.
    Something has changed if they were previously fine.

I have attached an image of Page 8. Better to talk specifics rather than generalisations. It shows the classic signs of being up-scaled (a low resolution image being made larger and showing the lack of detail when enlarged). I would focus on that page and try and check what went wrong.

Perhaps you can check the source images that you use to assemble the website and/or explain how you create the images for page view - ie explain your workflow.

If things were good but now have changed, there has is most likely been an accidental change somewhere.

And the alignment of the buttons has what to do with the sharpness of some pages? - jb
    Nothing, but they don't look right. See the attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bad.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	80461

Tks, all - I went back and re-imported some of the pages and re-uploaded them - made a big difference. Also changed the nav buttons - just made my own.

I couldn't figure out what you were talking about on the alignment problem but when Paul put it on top of the page in his post I knew what it was. And that is the way that nav bar was suppose to work - straight out of the nav bar templates. When one moved over the bar it pops out to the right and the page you are on keeps it to the right all the time. As I mentioned, I got rid of them and made my own.

The pages I am coping are xara pages exported as .pdf - that is the way we send them to the printer. I am not the one doing the page markup so she sent the pages back to me as .pdf - which, even though they were put into .pdf with xara, xara can't inport them. Also strange, I can open the pages in Adobe and copy to the clip board and then paste into xara - sometimes. For some reason, SOME of the pages will not let me paste them - the "paste" is grayed out.

Going to have her send me back the xara pages starting next month and see if that solves some of the problems.

Again, tks for the help. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

Why not publish the pdf on the website instead of single lowres pages?

If I can't get the pdf into the Xara site, how would one do that? I have tried to both open and import the pdf files and they will not open/import. - jb
    - jb

www.brownpotters.com

I think the idea is to create a PDF file for the paper and then link to it on the site. The PDF would be a site asset. You would not need to import or open the pdf using Xara software.

The PDF would replace the seperate pages.

Ideally this would mean that the PDF is optimised for web use rather than printing (ie you create one PDF for the printer, another for the web).