Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web Designer for iiPad/iPod

I haven't purchased Web Designer yet because I want a website design program that will adjust to iPad/iPod screens automatically when the viewer looks at my website on their device.

I found software from another company that does create web pages to be viewed on any device but I really like the design interface that Web Designer has. Is that functionality coming to Web Designer in the near future?

Thank you!

Default Re: Web Designer for iiPad/iPod

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Web Designer does not support mobile devices. To the best of my knowledge there are no plans to support mobile devices in future releases.

NetObjects Fusion 12 does support mobile devices and can create websites tailored for them.

Well,
    I doubt that any application would create an iPhone or iPad version automatically. It's definitely up to the designer her/himself to do it.
    Detect whether you have an iPhone or iPad and then redirect to the specific mobile version of your website.
    You can use WebDesigner to create 3 versions. That's what I do: main site, ipad version, iphone version.
    Note: avaoid "mouseover" events for touchscreens as you don't have a mouse. Mouseover events forces the user to click twice on each button.

Quote Originally Posted by maderemark View Post
    I haven't purchased Web Designer yet because I want a website design program that will adjust to iPad/iPod screens automatically when the viewer looks at my website on their device.
    There's nothing stopping anyone using WD to build iPad/iPod based sites, but it's definitely wishful thinking that you can build one website in any program that will suit viewing on the desktop and mobile sites of varying sizes.

The problem is not just that the screen sizes differ (important enough), but that people use these devices differrently, so the design of such sites is differrent.

Currently on TG you will occassionaly hear about people wanting scrollbars on their text (ugh). Scrollbars are quite fiddly to use on a mobile device, as are drop down menus and basically any control that requires dexterity with a mouse. People's fingers are large so the controls need to be much larger. People using mobiles for web access, don't browse like people with desktops do - they want to get at information, not be presented with masses of stuff and large graphics that take time to download. Tablets have more room, people do browse, but they don't expect to scroll with scrollbars (people using tablets are also using fingers), they expect to swipe their pages, there are no mouseovers, and drop down menus are to be avoided.

Web designers catering for multiple platforms use HTML and CSS to produce completely differrent sites according to the device capabilities.

There is no "one site fits all", whatever software you use.

If you design your pages to HTML 1 standard your pages will autoresize just fine without having to do three versions.

Mind you, they'll be ugly as hell.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Some general suggestions for mobile devices: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...Browsing/page2
    John.