Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: "out of memory" problem

You guys are totally spoilt!
    It's pretty obvious that you've never had to work with 1MB RAM, 60MB HDD, 14.4kb modems and paying a fortune per minute to the phone company!!
    Back then every byte counted, jpegs were squeezed as much as possible and 640x480 was considered a huge image!

Even today we need to do some planning ahead, and not just pour more images/pages at poor Xara (and the net) until it kneels.
    Everything needs to be split when growing too big - books, libraries, movies, museums etc, and when working with big web sites (aka library!) there is absolutely no need to work on all the pages at the same time. It's often easier to plan this from the start than trying to split it later.
    Xara has made it so easy to make great web sites that it has made its users spoilt that they forget simple things like editing one (or a few) page(s) at a a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornkn View Post
    You guys are totally spoilt!
    It's pretty obvious that you've never had to work with 1MB RAM, 60MB HDD, 14.4kb modems and paying a fortune per minute to the phone company!!
    Back then every byte counted, jpegs were squeezed as much as possible and 640x480 was considered a huge image!
    Wow that would have been a DREAM Machine, I began with a teletype printout on a main frame that wasn't even as powerful as a Vic20.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

True - a real dream machine, and not where I started computing, but when going online (-90?) for the first time that was my equipment
    Like you I started with a teletype/typewriter (on a Nord 100 mainframe from "Norsk Data" in 78), where I made my first programs in Basic, which I still have the backup of somewhere. Unfortunately I don't have any reader device for those long paper strips with punched holes

Ah...paper tape brings back memories. Let me see in 78 that would have been 7 hole ASCII or were you still using 5 hole Baudot?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I have no idea what coding it used Isn't this nostalgia from us oldtimers a bit OT?
    The point is that nowadays we are so used to apparently limitless storage/memory/bandwidth that we tend to think that we don't have any limits.
    But we always do...

thanks for help Jason, i will see your site later - i have no time today. it is good to know about FTP program that you use because I GOT IT!!! )))
    i managed finnaly to solve my problem with menus! so next step is to send it on server. i use Flash FXP. i will try first with that one, so try your recommendation if my program do not get it work!

thank you so much bjornkn! without you i would not manage it! i will write more later about details...

Hi bjornkn! Now I have finnaly good news! Wbsite is completely done and it is online! And it would not happen without ur help! U was more helpfull that Xara tips! I am extremly gratefull to u and ur kindness and patience, that u lead me through whole process until solution came!
    By the way, i had also problems with putting site online. But then i used same experience, with Flash FXP... Program froze and stopped. So I sendt part after part of website, and now it works! I learned something new and i thank you again so much! ))

Glad that it helped then

Yes, it really did. Thanks be to your patience and good will!