Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default "out of memory" problem

Hi! I have problem with exporting og web site on my hard disk drive! As soon as I choose "export website", I get message that "memory is getting low"! I go on anyway, and after a while it says "out of memory"!
    I tried to shut down most of programs, I reinstalled windows, bought 1Gb memory more (now i have 2Gb RAM, tried the same on 2 pc more (1 of them is quite new and strong), but I get always same message!!!
    File is on 121Mb. When i reduce it in two pieces, about 60Mb, then it goes!?!
    Please, help me, it is very important and i am in hurry to export site, so I can publish it later!
    Anybody can help me?
    Program is fantastic, but if it cannot export a product, then is useless!

Default Re: "out of memory" problem

1. Optimize all images/jpegs
    2. If it still don't export - split into 2 or more parts.

Thanks for trying to help me!
    How do I optimise images? From Xara web design6?

I tried another option, but then meny gets reduced, because as I see, it automaticaly cuts off pages I delete when I try to split it?!?
    Or, are there another way to split the file without infuensing meny?

Quote Originally Posted by fred nilsen View Post
    Thanks for trying to help me!
    How do I optimise images? From Xara web design6?
    Yes, from the menu Utilities (or from context menu for single images.
    There's no need for keeping the dpi higher than 96dpi.
    I tried another option, but then meny gets reduced, because as I see, it automaticaly cuts off pages I delete when I try to split it?!?
    Or, are there another way to split the file without infuensing meny?
    Turn off 'Site navigation bar' and add your menus manually.

Oh, what a mess! I optimised images. I have 700 images, and 697 was optimised, 4 non-JPEG images was ignered. But it wouldn't save file afterwords, and if i try more, program freeze and stops - without saving a file!
    I tried to turn off "Site navigation bar". but I found only option to lock it, not to turn it off?! Where is "turn off" function?
    To lock navigation bar did not help, because when i extracted the rest og the site, meny was changed!
    COuld you please help me more? I used more then 3 weeks to learn using program and create this site, and now it stops in last point!...
    If it helps, it use 15Gb of memory on its highest. I got also message "error during saving: internal program error 1149.k.st.es` your document has not been saved"

it is xara web designer 6 i am using...

Well, for a first try I must say that you aim high
    I never make files larger than 10MB, and I would never even think of adding 700 images to one single Xara file.
    In most other web programs you work with one page at a time, but hat Xara has the ability to build a multi-page site with one file doesn't mean that you have to (or should) do that.

I'm using Designer Pro 6, but I thought that Web Designer was the same?
    Attached is my navbar properties. Look under 'Settings'.

There are quite a lot of similar threads to this one, with people having memory problems. Take a look at them and see how they were solved (if solved...)

Are the images popups/slideshows/highslide?
    What are the dpi shown in the Page&Layers gallery?
    If they are popups you may try to pop them up at a smaller width, and then optimize again.
    You may also try to scale the thumbs smaller - and optimize.
    IMO there is no other choice than splitting and better organizing if the images are already optimized and as small as possible.
    How many pages are there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard-1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	80385  

I will answer you tomorrow on all questions, I am tired now and will go to sleep. Wbsite became much bigger then i thought... It is 49 sides, 700 images. program compressed automatically all images when they was imported...
    I read too some articles her and found the same idea - to split site, as you told me. They mention something called "relative links"?! Do you know what it means? With relative links site can be splitted and "put together" again...In my case, i managed to split site, but meny was changed anyway... And i do not know how to put it bask. I have also program you are using, XWD pro, so i will try also that option you told me about navbar.
    But it must wait til tomorrow, now is sleeping time!
    Thank You so much for help up to now!

Relative links contain only paths related to where you are in the hierarchy. Instead of writing "http://www.mysite.com/gallery/" you just write "gallery/".
    This makes it much easier to move a site, because there are no/few hard/full links. The relative link will work even if you move the site to a different domain, and will work offline as well. And whenever you use a link ending in a folder name it will look for and load a file inside that folder, usually named index.html.
    Organize!
    A CMS like Joomla for instance uses a hierarchy : Sections/Categories/Articles.
    Each section can contain many categories, and each category can contain many articles.
    For a very big site in Xara (like 500+ pages?) you could not possibly make it in one go, and would need to split it up into sections/categories. Not much fun to scroll through 500 menus buttons to find what you're looking for...
    Think of it as a newspaper online, which are highly organized in sections/categories.. They have quite few menu choices on the front page, like 'News', 'Sport' etc.
    When you get into the News section you may get new choices, like local news, foreign news etc, and going further down there may be choices for Africa, Europe etc. Next level (if there are any more) could be news from each country, each city etc.
    And all sections may have 2 menus, the main one, which brings you back "home" as well as directly to each main section. The second one would only contain links to pages inside that section.
    The number of levels is up to you, and depends on the size of the site.
    Small site - few levels (and possibly only one Xara file)
    Big site - many levels (and one Xara file for each section, subsection or category, depending on the size.
    This also makes it a lot easier to maintain and to add new pages and stuff.
    On the site you could just make a subfolder for each section, and eventually subfolders into those again for each subsection/category if needed.
    Each folder would contain a "full" Xara website/file.
    Linking to a section from the main level would be just the folder name, like "gallery/"
    And if you're already inside the gallery section a link to the news section would be "../news/" as relative link. A level deeper down it would be "../../news", or "/news"
    In your case I suppose that all your images could be split into several categories, like landscape, people, travel etc?

Here I am! I am preparing birthday party, so I have no much time today and tomorrow for website, but I hope you can answer me, because I must go on trying to fix it on sunday! As I said, it was no planed to have so many images, but if I reduce them, site will no function.
    I created 49 pages, but not all are within main many. Some of them I linked from underpages, through words that I made as links. The most of images are popups, (pop up with 599pix). They are reduced when imported. 12 of them are of 100-200Kb, the rest are under 100kb size.
    I couldn’t find out about dpi in Page&Layers gallery, since I am unknown with Pro version?
    I also could not find navbar properties under settings?! I have Xara Designer Pro 6. Can you describe exact path to navbar properties? According picture you left of navigation bar properties, difference at my site is small – button spacing was 1200mpx, orientation horizontal and I did not choose same width for all buttons.
    It is only 1 slideshow, 1,3Mb size.
    I managed to export now all pages, but meny (navbar) is lost from the most pages, except a few. Main meny has 7 bottons, and only two of them has undermeny(submeny). And as I said, some pages are not linked on main meny, but on links that I created in some of the pages. I think it is well organized.
    So, the last step if possible is to put meny into all pages that are exported?!? That is why I asked you about relative links, because I read (an old) article about them. Do I understand you right? You say I should create 2 menus? Main one for main pages (perhaps to split whole site in equal size?) and second meny – independent one for the rest?!
    My problem was that when I removed some pages, to reduce total size and manage export, then meny was automatically changed!!!
    Does it mean that meny and pages won’t be changed if I create 2 menus and export one meny with all sites that belongs to that meny, and afterwors I remove this pages and export pages that are left – with second meny?! As I understand, pages with second meny must have at least home link, (if not possible to have full main meny) so to be able to come back to home page?
    I hope that home link will be preserved when I temporarily delete half of pages?!?
    If meny will not be affected by that, then the problem is solved! I can export website if I cut it on 60Mb. Then it can be exported!
    Or, did you mean some other way of using/creating relative meny?
    (I am pretty grateful for your answers!