Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: The rotation thing

Could be really fun with a tablet and a pen tool..

Wow. I really didn't expect that a request for a feature that wouldn't really be intrusive at all for those who don't find it useful to generate this much debate.

For those of us who use the program for illustration or drawing comics, the ability to rotate an entire page and its contents, without having to select all the objects within it every time, and (this is the important bit) also preserving existing objects' orientation on the page, would be absolutely invaluable. It has nothing to do with the end product, it's simply a way to streamline workflow. Sure, I could switch to Artrage, Manga Studio, Corel Painter, or whatever, in order to get this functionality, but the fact is that I like Xara Designer Pro much better than any of those.

Vector vs. Raster drawing really doesn't have anything to do with it. If anything, being a vector-oriented drawing program should theoretically make including this feature easier than it would be in a raster drawing program, since all the math is done already.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ad1066 View Post
    and (this is the important bit) also preserving existing objects' orientation on the page, would be absolutely invaluable
    Hi Ben

what exactly do you mean by this - all objects rotate around the page axis or each round its own axis in one global operation ? - if its the latter that is a completely different ball game to rotating a canvas or a workspace - outside of CAD/3D programs 'costing the price of a small car', I can't think of anything
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

In a 3D program you would move the 'camera' and not rotate the 'canvas'.

A friend has provided some additional thoughts about rotating within a Xara document.

Here are a couple of further thoughts: You could just use the text tool, click on the page, type, cut, and paste into one of the rotated text areas. Re. rotating the selection: If you have locked layers you may need to "make all layers editable" before you select all. If your page is coloured, you could also rotate the page shape by ensuring it is also selected (although be careful not to selected the pasteboard shape!). That could have unwanted effects if the doc has multiple pages and the "all pages the same" or "same layers on all pages" switches are set...
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    what exactly do you mean by this - all objects rotate around the page axis or each round its own axis in one global operation ?
    The former. In other words, say I have objects that have already been placed in a specific configuration on the page (ie: I'm in the process of "inking" a sketch I had drawn on paper and scanned in), and I need to draw some large sweeping curves, but they happen to be at an angle that is physically awkward for me to draw (usually horizontal). I'd like to be able to rotate the page and all the objects on it (keeping all of the existing objects in place relative to their position on the page), draw that curve, then reset the page orientation to normal. Ideally, the rotation of the page wouldn't have any effect on the finished product (ie: if you exported the picture while the page was rotated, the resulting image would still be 'upright'), it only pertains to the presentation within Xara itself while working on the file. That's what I mean by preserving the position of the objects within the page.

-- Ben
    -----------------------

Hi Ben

ok I've no problem with that - perhaps a graphic driver that rotates your screen might help .... [edit - I'm assuming here you are using a tablet you can rotate - be a bit awkward with a mouse]

@SOQUILI ....and you can set up multiple cameras, one for each view, and you can sync them....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by ad1066 View Post
    ...For those of us who use the program for illustration or drawing comics, the ability to rotate an entire page and its contents...would be absolutely invaluable.
    Hi Ben,

Like I mentioned in post #10 following your first post in this thread, suggest this to Xara.

The above statement is really too inclusive. Like I have mentioned, all I use XDP6 for *is* illustration and some small-scale design of fliers, posters, etc. I would include myself in the "for those of us" statement you made. Perhaps you would not.

Take care, Mike

Steve: Rotating the whole screen wouldn't help too much, as that would introduce issues in accessing toolbars & menus & such. Rotating the tablet on my desk is a workaround, but that introduces a disconnect between the movements of my hand and what I see on the screen. In both of these instances, the result is actually worse than the original problem.

Mike: I really don't see how being too inclusive would be a problem, as I really don't think the feature proposed would affect anyone who didn't use it. For example, I personally have no use for Live Effects, and it's easy for me to ignore them. I know there are lots of people use them, however, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge them that feature.

Unless you're talking about inadvertently misrepresenting the demand for such a feature, in which case I understand and agree completely. To clarify: In the course of using XDP6 for illustration and drawing comics, I personally would find such a feature especially useful. Not essential, certainly, but it would cure a lot of headaches and save a fair bit of project time. I can't imagine I'm completely alone in this regard.

-- Ben
    -----------------------

no you are not

we all have our wish lists [eg: any chance of going back to being able to add a layer without it deselecting objects ? - and give us the option as to whether we want to reset current attributes on an ESC double click.... I could go on ]

good luck - if it were there I would no doubt use it
    Nothing lasts forever...

Oh come on! Fire! Rotation that important to the majority?! I'd rather see Xara bring in diffusion curves and other vector stuff. Sheesh!
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64