Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Serious problem with exporting website, out of memory

Good luck
    (Actually it's Bjørn, which is about the same as Björn - both means "bear")

Hi Marcia,

Looking at your screen grab, those jpegs are very high resolution. For web output it's best if they are all 96dpi. That's what optimising should do (and then they'd all be labelled "optimised" in the P&L gallery).

It would be worth exploring the optimisation problems first before you start breaking up your web site.

BTW: Using the Tune-ups tab would help a bit. You could reduce the sizes of the caches and buffers that Xara/Xtreme/Designer uses to help make editing fast so that more memory is available for exporting. But I think you have a more fundamental problem with the size of your jpegs that you need to solve first.

Phil

Aren't you forgetting something PhilM?
    Most likely those photos are thumbs with popups?
    When you view bitmaps in the P&L gallery it shows the dpi of the thumbs.
    And when you view them in the Bitmap gallery it shows the dpi of the actual popup photos.
    And if you use 'optimize all jpegs' the text in P&L wil not show up as '(Optimized)'.
    OTOH it might be useful to view/set the popup images to a lower res, which will probably save a lot of memory after 'optimizing all jpegs'.
    Or am I missing something? (I noticed that you are a Xara developer...)
    Anyway, with 650 photos (and more to come?) I still think it's a good idea to split the file...

Yes, I might be wrong. Web publishing is not really "my area" and without seeing the web file it's hard to understand exactly what the problem is.

If the photos are popups then there's certainly no reason to store them at higher resolution than the popup will show.

Doing that might give enough headroom to continue working with just one file but if not and if the site is growing then, yes, splitting it is probably a good idea.

BTW: You can use the Document Info dialog to show you the size of the document in memory with all the jpegs and pngs unpacked ready for fast editing and rendering. Note that that's very different than the size of the file where jpgs and pngs are all packed away.

Phil
    Last edited by PhilM; 05 March 2011 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added note about Document Info dialog.

Maybe i am wrong but thought i ask if you emptied your Web Cache in Xara Options? Secondly, delete the out-dated Backup Files which are created each time as these might also be taking up space. Try either of the two or the other option might be to raise your Web Cache space under Options from 10MB to something else. PLEASE BACK UP YOUR WORK PRIOR....

klamsi

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    If the photos are popups then there's certainly no reason to store them at higher resolution than the popup will show.

Doing that might give enough headroom to continue working with just one file but if not and if the site is growing then, yes, splitting it is probably a good idea.
    When I optimize jpegs Xara does a very good job, and keeps the dpi of the photos at 96dpi for the large versions.
    That file list shows very high dpi values in the P&L, which could indicate either one of two:
    • The thumbs are very small
    • The large versions (popups) are shown very big?

Setting the popup size to a lower width value for all images, and then optimize them, should be able to decrease the memory needs dramatically.

But it is still nice to know that splitting a site is quite easy to do.
    I would've split such a big site into sections anyway, even if I had no memory problems, just to make the files more manageable.