Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default arabesque symbol ... anywhere

Does Designer Pro have any kinds of symbols (like glyphs) in its tool box?

If not, can anyone steer me to some? Googling hasn't been very productive.

I can't think how to explain what I mean, and not finding any images that convey it either. There used to be a nice one in an older version of Adobe Illustrator but I've lost all track of it. And don't think it could be extacted for use anyway.

What I want is something like lineart but with an arabeque-ish shape, so lines but no background.

I like to use them to separate parts of text documents sometimes.

Default Re: arabesque symbol ... anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Thanks for the input.
    About google... Perhaps, but of course that was one of the first things I saw. Its not clear at all if those glyphs can be employed into a Xara document, and I don't need dozens.... just one or two.

I actually have some glyphs in fonts that I already have but see no way to get at them in the Xara interface. I don't mean to say there is no way only that I'm ignorant of them.

Ideal would be an arabesque with no background (transparent) and just the lines of the arabesque... like a small bitmap image.

I actually tried a few found with google (image) but found none with transparent background or one that looked like I could cut it out fairly easily.

Back to your citation a moment... I didn't actually see any there that looked like what I'm after. As I mentioned, I mostly would like them used as separators in some kinds of documents. I mean between paragraphs or sections of a page.

It would need to be able to be stretched, compressed etc at will.

All of those requirements pertain to the symbols in Adobe Illustrator but the arabesque disappeared several versions back.

I thought there might be a `symbols' pkg available for Xara or usable by Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryPutnam View Post
    Thanks for the input.

[...]

Back to your citation a moment... I didn't actually see any there that looked like what I'm after. As I mentioned, I mostly would like them used as separators in some kinds of documents. I mean between paragraphs or sections of a page.

[...]
    I let the message get away before I should have.

On your cited page I see two that are at least close to what I'm after.

In the second row, and using the black dots to find them, starting with left most black dot as dot1.

Just to the right of dots 1 and 2 are symbols or glyphs that look pretty close.

hi harry

if they are a font and its installed

type them, and then convert to editable shapes, and then ungroup [twice possibly] - then you can edit out the bits you want....?

{edit - re" I actually have some glyphs in fonts that I already have but see no way to get at them in the Xara interface" }
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    hi harry

if they are a font and its installed

type them, and then convert to editable shapes, and then ungroup [twice possibly] - then you can edit out the bits you want....?

{edit - re" I actually have some glyphs in fonts that I already have but see no way to get at them in the Xara interface" }
    I guess that would apply to those in your cited URL as well eh?

Those two I mentioned are better than anything I have on hand.

it was Gary that cited the URL

you should be able to do this with any truetype font installed

once you have the font characters converted to editable shape, and ungrouped fully, they are vector shapes just like those you draw in designer
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Gack.... sorry and thanks to you both....

you should be able to do this with any truetype font installed

once you have the font characters converted to editable shape, and ungrouped fully, they are vector shapes just like those you draw in designer
    Before I confuse myself further... the fonts on the cited URL are listed as Opentype.... so are they not `Truetype' then and how does one tell quickly?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryPutnam View Post
    Before I confuse myself further... the fonts on the cited URL are listed as Opentype.... so are they not `Truetype' then and how does one tell quickly?
    Egad... nevermind.... I over looked the extension .TTF on those at the URL