Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Post website with two languages or more

Hi all,

I have my website now online and it appears that I will have to offer it in two more languages, the content is already translated. How can I do it the best way to put two linked country-flag buttons in and also I havnt' figured it out yet how to do a copy of the current website and where and how to store it to work on it.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Jan

Default Re: website with two languages or more

On www.telcotrek.com, I used two Xara files, one for each language. Spanish pages have an _sp extension (index_sp, etc.) - Uploaded both of them to the same FTP folder and made sure that both sides link correctly to the right pages.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...kie&highlight= might be off interest to you too.

thanks

@maxtrac: Thanks for your reply; great looking website.
    So basically I duplicate the Xara-files and give them an indicative name, onces this is done I replace the old text content with the new one in let us say spanish. Am I right?
    How has you managed it to put your country flags in?

@bb2: Thanks for the link, indeed of interest.

Si señor haksor... Create English website (Xara #1), Duplicate it with a new name (Xara #2), On Xara #2, replace text and also rename pages to index_sp.htm, etc. Cross-link the language flags to index.htm and index_sp.htm respectively. Upload Xara #1 and #2 to the same FTP folder. You can google for free flags and copy-paste them. Good luck!

Question Re: website with two languages or more

I have the same problem. When I try to save the files as xar-file, it persists to be a web-file. What is the difference? I use XWD6. And next step, if I saved it as swedish.web and hungarian.web (or maybe .xar) how shall I open it together with the English original in the program? Import it? I presume it is necessary to open them together, otherwise it will be much work rundabout at every change, e g updating of repeating objects. But if I open it together it will be only one big web or xar file irrespectively how many languages I use, won't it? I cannot imagine yet how everything will hang together.

XWD Pro uses XAR, XWD Regular uses WEB, but they are the same and interchangeable. You can rename them for convenience.

You should also create a separate WEB (or XAR) file for each language. Otherwise it will be very difficult to do updates which "repeat on all pages."

At the host you'll end up with (for example) index.htm (english), index_h.htm (hungarian) and index_s.htm (sweedish). It's a matter of giving each language it's separate page names and creating the right links between pages. Whichever language has the index.htm name, will be the first one to open. In this example, it would be the english home page.

Actually there is no XWD Pro.

There is Xara Designer Pro which is the newest version of the Xara Xtreme graphics applications.

All of Xara's web centric applications; Web Designer (version 5), Web Designer 6, Web Designer 7, and Web Designer 7 Premium use the .web filename extension which is internally identical the the .xar file format of the same version number.

For example Web Designer was the first generation of the web centric applications and uses the same structure as Xara Xtreme Pro 5.

Web Designer 6 uses the same file structure as Designer Pro 6.

Web Designer 7 Premium uses the same file structure as the planned release of Designer Pro 7.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Moderator please delete this double post.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update