Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thought I'd try something that I would usually do in Xara X, and see how it went.

It went slowly! Xara is so fast, and slowing down to use the non-intuitive Illustrator functions is almost painful! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

The jpeg compression was better in Illustrator, though. Not so much banding.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phoenix_5.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	2150  

Fertile challenge! Here's my Phoenix done entirely in Painter 6, in about 8 layers.

I concentrated on the "rising from the ashes" aspect - when the cataclysm has passed then hope can rise from devastation. The ground was painted on with Soft Charcoal and Photo Brush-Grain variant to make it look more ashy. The flakes of ash thrown up by the beating wings were done with the Pixel Spray airbrush.

The pall of smoke (Digital Airbrush) was remembered from this summer's bushfires, and that led me to put in some gumtree branches.

A Happy Accident occurred - I was going to apply the Burnt Edges plug-in to the edges of the picture but forgot I still had the Bird layer selected, which left me with one well-charred Phoenix - I had to keep it!

So many great images in this thread!

Maeve

Name:	Phoenix.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	13366  

I just got back from town and planting some spring flowers---and here's some more excellent artwork!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Dale---I absolutely loved your first phoenix image and this one is really cool too...interesting what the other programs encourage...I have only two (XaraX and PainterClassic with the PhotoshopLE which is a much smaller version of the one people here use, and I've really only used it so far to work on photos), but Illustrator should be an interesting one to use...why not use the best of each program you have. You've done great designs for the phoenix!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Maeve---Really a knock out image with the "happy accident" charring! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] That is how it happens sometimes while just experimenting with techniques and you make discoveries--this added a really interesting burnt edge texture and the ashes are wonderful too!!! I've not seen your work before and am so glad you decided to show us this marvelous creation! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Thanks again Dale and Maeve for contributing your visions!!!
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

All these images are very inspirational, so I just had to have another bash.
    The original bird is from the Xara clip art, but I've created an bitmap, traced it an beveled the shapes.
    Egg

Name:	phoenix_mine3.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	1460  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

'Morning everyone! Here is my challenge done in PSP7 with the help of a couple of third party filters.

Have a good one!
    Carolyn

Name:	Phoenix.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	15724  

'Morning everyone! Here is my challenge done in PSP7 with the help of a couple of third party filters.

Have a good one!
    Carolyn

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

It's great, Carolyn! You really get the feeling it is rising from the smoke and ashes. Well done!

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.

very nice .... I like it ...nice colours [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg

The colors are wonderful and I really like how the phoenix is looking toward the rising sun--really sets the mood of coming out of the ashes to a new beginning! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Thanks for joining in with us and sharing your art!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Really cool effects Egg!!! The Phoenix looks very 3D/sculptural!!! The flame shape and effect works very well with it. The textures on the Phoenix reminds me of like a paper mache', you'd never guess it was a digital piece! FUN! Glad you brought us another one to enjoy---thanks so much!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    -Mark Twain