Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Owl wip

Here is a painting I am working on. I did this last night in Painter 7. I would like your comments on how to make this better. Where are my weak points, etc...

Thanks,

Randy Rives
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	owl_wip6.JPG 
Views:	298 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	8883  

Here is a painting I am working on. I did this last night in Painter 7. I would like your comments on how to make this better. Where are my weak points, etc...

Thanks,

Randy Rives

Hi Randy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Your owl is coming along really well!!! I especially like the details on the head feathers and face---these small patterns are a pain in the butt to do, especially for the entire bird's feathers, but is also part of what makes them look so stiking, besides their incredible eyes. When I work on an owl painting in any medium I spend a lot of time on the eyes first. You've got the color right, perhaps just a bit more shading and smoothing is all. It's like trying to get the effect of a catseye marble--a lot of thick clear lens on top of the colors--a bit of transparent highlight across the lens will give it this shape. The colors on the face and feathers texture are great! I think the only area left to work on, if you want to go with details, is the side wing feathers and chest feathers---with something like this and all the barred marks on the feathers, I've found only that drawing in some individual feathers works to get a realistic effect---if that's what your goal is. It's very nice like this, but with the face so detailed, it seems like a bit more feather detail on the body would work well. It's coming along really well, Randy!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya P.S. There is a Great Horned Owl painting that I've done on my site which also shows side wing detailing which might be helpful as to the pattern...I did it after viewing Comet Hale-Bopp and included that in the pic too...
    www.crowhavenarts.com
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Maya,

Thanks for the comments. Yeah started with the eyes and face, that is why there is more detail there. Went to fast with the rest of the picture. But I wanted to do this all last night (about 2.5 hours). Now I think I will go back and add detail to the body. Also when I had finished I noticed the eyes were to small, so I made them bigger. But now the feathers covering up the lower corners are behind the eye, I need to redo them to push the eye back some.

I like your Owl in your gallery. In fact I like all your paintings. I love birds. I have a Blue&Gold and a Ringneck. I use to raise exotic birds(parrots) but due to a job change had to sell all of them.

Thanks<

Randy

Wahoooooooo well done bud [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Ok......Ah first of all agree with Mayas comments,I would just like to add your light source is from the left hand side so I feel that the right hand side would be more in shadow to give the Owl a more sort of cylindrical type shape to the shading.The right eye and eye socket area seems to be recessed a bit far.See how on the left you have an arc of shading for the eye area,well on the right it looks flat,but dont worry its just because the area is solidly shaded ie no no blend from light to dark giving a duplicate arc of shading if you will.Because it has a solid shadow or shaded area it makes it look flat.Think in gradients Randy like we did with the barn pic.Make a shpere in C4D and pull in some polys around where an eye area would be and examine the shading [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

You have done a rally good job Randy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .The only problem with lots of detail is that once you start you have to maintain lots of detail especially with an animal etc,with a portrait etc you can blend it slowly out,but you want realism right?.......and everyone just loves to paint detailed feathers...... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ,feathers are tricky for everyone from beginner to experienced.A good trick for feathers is to look at clumps of feathers as not all being flat but some raising just a little bit above the others [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well done Randy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ....proud of ya.

Stu.

Heres a rough guide for overlaying on the Owl,in kind of polygon mode so that it feels more familar [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just drag it off the page its a transparent gif....hahahhaa correction it should be a transparent gif [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Owl-guide.gif 
Views:	250 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	9487  

Yep, I've also had several parrots which I also had to find new homes for when we moved so often---not a good thing for birds! I had 2 Double yellow head amazons (they don't have 2 heads! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ), a liliac crowned amazon, 2 african greys, a citron-crested cockatoo, a Goffins cockatoo, numerous cockatiels, keets, and grey cheek parakeets, and a variety of african lovebirds which I also raised. Love 'em all!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I envy you your blue and gold, they are so beautiful and amusing! I have also worked with wild birds through a wildlife rehabilitation center---including owls, hawks and eagles---extremely awesome birds!!! My favorites for personality were the ravens and crows, however---they are every bit as smart as rumored and have a sense of humor about their antics.

Stu's got the right ideas too about making the body feathers look slightly raised in places instead of flat---also splits in the feathers near the edges now and then helps to break up the "too perfect look"---feathers do get a lived-in look after a few months of flight, etc.
    You're doing great!!! Thanks for your comments also about the owl painting, etc...
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Maya, you are for the birds for sure! I've often thought I'd like to get a raven for a pet, partly because they're so smart, partly because I'm a big fan of Poe's poem "The Raven." I'd LOVE to have a raven perch upon my pallid bust of Pallas - wonderfully eerie. :-)

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

This may be a bit off topic, but as we're on the subject of ravens I thought I might add that although you may be able to keep one in Norway or other countries, here in the U.S. it is not possible without a special license and only for the purpose of caring for them if they are orphaned, ill or injured...it is very difficult to get such a license here, tests and proof of care/veterinary knowledge and the correct housing is necessary. I worked at a facility with others and this way was able to enjoy working with these amazing birds. I have also read many books on studies of ravens both in the U.S. and Europe.
    They are very large birds and require very large housing--aviary size. When tame they do adapt pretty well to being with people, even indoors, but they are very mischieveous and can get into a lot of trouble. If you should ever seriously consider raising one, read and learn all you can about them beforehand, and be prepared to have your life taken over by this bird [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ---one family I read of keeping one in Germany said that theirs, while happily living in their house and sharing their lives, still had to have it's own way about things---they said "the raven always wins"!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] They are also less social than crows, so a bit more reserved and more cautious in nature. They seem able to reason things out pretty well too.
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya P.S. I am also a fan of Poe's works, especially "The Raven". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    -Mark Twain

Very well done adn you just made a new friend in Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I too am an Owl fan, they are a very special bird in my life. Owl represents one of the two spiritual guides I have with me, from a Shamanic path [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] So this is a stunning image. It's nice to see a close up of such a wonderous creature!!! Very nicely done.

Klaus, I don't think the proper term is "pet" to one such as the Raven, maybe you would be it's pet [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---