Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default upgrading to version 6 to version 7 Xara3d

hello all,

I'm thinking of upgrading from version 6 to version 7.

What happens to the original version 6, do they go into the same directory, or a separate one, I'm hesitant at the moment to upgrade although I would love the new features which probably would be available.

I used to version 6 at the moment and still learning

As I'm a quadriplegic, it makes things very easy to make banners.

The only thing I can't get is decreasing text size will have made a banner with an imported graphic picture in the text is too big in the picture. There must be some way which I'm not finding, I know this will sound stupid.

There are webpages around the create banners where you can change the text size, so I thought this would be possible which it probably is the just can't seem to locate.

Any assistance appreciated regards Mark
    PS this question relating to text is about version 6 just to clarify

Default Re: upgrading to version 6 to version 7 Xara3d

Hi welcome

on the bar at the top there is a box for altering the font size [as I recall it is set as default to: fit to screen]

you also have a crop option when exporting

if xara3D 7 follows the same route as Xara products have to date it will install separately, but I have not yet installed the version 7 to confirm
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

It does install separately, so you can install the 7 trial and not affect V6.

thanks Jimi
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

all, thank you very much for your help, I took the bullet, and installed it anyway, it adds on to the xara directory on its own stated above

Also I will take a look at the font option you are talking about, I have seen fit to window option, but it is not doing what I want, with regard to my banner which has a picture made which was important into it. Anyway I will play around.

On another matter, want to add another font into xara, which another fellow told me he does, I just copied one into the directories, and they could not see me in the option of importing or anything to do with fonts, it is not showing up in the list, even after restarting the program.

Is it possible to install in the fonts as it has said, regards Mark

Fonts are normally installed into the system Fonts folder, that is where Xara3D and other applications look for them.
    With regard to fitting text, if you go to the field that normally says Fit to Width, that is the Font size field. You can select from a drop down list or type in a specific size in points. You can also move the text around if there is no background image, by holding down the Alt key and dragging with the mouse. If there is a background image, this will move that instead of the text.

Mike

hello Mike,

Thank you for the other tips, I had a background texture picture of a female which I added text to. I change the text font, and it was to be too big, when I tried to adjust it through that fit the width, it did not seem to work but I thought it would.

Regarding a text font installation, I thought it was the fonts into xara where I added the extra font.

I will search for the system fonts you refer to

You can just unzip the fonts (if they are in a zip file). Then select the fonts, right-click and choose the install option. Windows will copy them to the Windows fonts folder.

You can also copy them by yourself, but letting Windows install them is a pretty easy method.

Take care, Mike

hello Mike,

I got the font situation fixed up okay, there are faults in the directory also Zara six and Zara seven, should they also be copied to the Windows system directory for fonts?

And regarding to the other matter, I just cannot get the text to work properly on my imported image into a banner. The text is too big, when you change the fit to window to a different font size, the picture goes very small, so can you suggest what I have to do about that.

Also do not seem to be as many designs in seven as there are in six, I thought there would've actually added more, considering it is a new version. There is plenty of playing around to do, you could spend months and months.

Anyway would like to get that font text fixing done if possible.

As I have a rotating disc with a picture on it and the text is in the middle with page breaks as it rotates, but the text is too big.

On a website I have registered to, that make banners, you can change everything to fit in, although those banners, our rectangle or similar stretched out, so I do not know of that is why it is different.

There is not much documentation with these programs, anyway thank you all of the previous help, and also the pictures I am importing into the new version 7 seemed to be much better than version 6

Regards Mark

Can you post the x3d file, Mark? Then we can get a better idea of the problem with the sizeing.

Mike