Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Duplicating page deletes objects on pasteboard

I think this came up before but I can't find the post. Basically when you try to duplicate a page with objects on the pasteboard the message attached sometimes pops up asking if it's ok to delete offending objects. Why cant it just leave the objects and duplicate everything over to the new page, pasteboard and all. Or at the very least don't delete the objects off the original page, that's just mad. I don't even know what objects are causing the problem or where it's safe to move them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xarw.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	80140

Default Re: Duplicating page deletes objects on pasteboard

I think this happens when there are objects between the pages. But I am not really sure.

I paste the contents of the clipboard onto a blank page to see if there is anything important, then duplicate the page.

Yeah it's weird, if I select everything on the page and the pasteboard and then cut it all to the clipboard, then duplicate the now empty page and then paste everything back in place on both pages it works not a bother so I don't why it complains when I try to just duplicate the page. I think it just likes making more work for me sometimes

to avoid the problem try increasing the outer margin and/or bleed margin settings

utilities > options > page size > spread
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Don't seem to be able to reproduce that. I've just created a document with a bunch of objects both on and off the page and overlapping the page and pasteboard boundaries and I can duplicate the page over and over again without getting this warning. This happens when I set the document to be a website or not. I admit I've never seen this warning. I wonder what triggers it?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I think it is because there is content in the clipboard and when you duplicate the page, Xara uses the clipboard to in essence copy and paste to the next page. But let's say you copied something that you wish to apply as Paste Attributes. If you duplicate the page then those attributes will be lost. On the other hand, now that I just tried this, it did not trigger the error message. And I just tried it with an object hanging off the bottom of the page.

So, never mind.

For me if I open a new document (i use web 955pix) and put a rectangle on the pasteboard about two page widths to the right or left of the page the message pop ups. Or if i put the rectangle beneath the page it happens too. Sometimes if I have a lot stuff on the pasteboard something tends to end up in this dodgy area Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dupw.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	80155

to avoid the problem try increasing the outer margin and/or bleed margin settings

utilities > options > page size > spread
    Thanks, this seems to be connected somewhat, if I increase the margin to 4500px it duplicates my middle example but not the bottom one, I guess putting objects on the pasteboard beneath or above the page is probably a bad idea then. There seems to be a max limit on the margin of about 4500 but it does give more space to work with. Maybe the workable area on the pasteboard should be made more clear.

I see the message when I have an object above or below the page boundary that would be covered by the new page. I'm pretty sure it's happened both when I'm adding a new page and when I'm duplicating an existing page. OTOH, I just tried to make the message display, and it didn't.

When you add a new page, the pasteboard at the bottom of the last page is shrunk so that the two pages appear close together. If you had some objects on that part of the pasteboard then after the addition of the new page they would be hidden and difficult to select but would still take up space and use colours, names and bitmaps, etc., which would be bad.

So the alert box is intended to warn you of that and give you the chance to decide whether to move them or delete them yourself or let the program delete them. However, there are some bugs that make the alert box appear unpredictably.

Having said all that, I can tell you that this area has been revised and you won't see the alert at all in the next version of the program.

Phil

Great stuff, I can't wait to see what the next version has in store. For now I've saved my default template with a 4500 margin and will avoid using the area of the pasteboard above/below the page.