Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I'm getting blank pages when I publish to site

A quick question. Are you using Norton Internet Security/Norton Personal Firewall? If so, this may well be the cause of the problem. One of my most valuable tools when I go to see clients with PC problems is the Norton Removal Tool. It's amazing the kinds of problems that disappear when you remove that malware from your computer.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Reexamine my procedure? It's Xara's procedure. I create a file, I save the file. I export it, I set up the FTP and I upload. It worked until a few days ago and now it's not, just uploads blank files and blank pages. It's a pain in the butt and it has to be Xara. I've uploaded the exact same files using another FTP and it works.

Thanks for the advice on using another FTP. I get that, but now I can't resell this program to my clients as a all in one solution for them to update and upload their site. The whole point of the program for me is that it's easy, drag and drop, and that I or they can upload from the same program, if they have to start using two different programs I lose them to hosting sites with online editors.

No not using norton, you really just linked to an exe file in a forum? Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ldwdcom2 View Post
    Reexamine my procedure? It's Xara's procedure.
    There's been quite a few Xara newbies that have started out feeling Xara screwed up only to find thirty or forty posts down the line that there's something simple they've missed (because this stuff is new to them) that throws a spanner in the works. They get red faces and it's very rarely that it turns out to be a problem with Xara. We just gotta keep on looking..

An anonymous source from North Queensland suggests the following:

If the transfer methods (ASCII or Binary) are unsupported, the ftp client (Xara's internal) will be able to create files (because thats just issuing a command)
    but not able to upload data (open a data socket ) Can also happen if the wrong mode is selected (active vs passive)

He should check with his host as to which is best.

Id recommend submitting a support ticket and including details for a test account that can be used to access the server you are publishing on.

Quote Originally Posted by ldwdcom2 View Post
    you really just linked to an exe file in a forum? Not cool.
    No, I'm not a complete idiot I linked to the Norton Removal Tool off the Norton/Symantec website.

Code:
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
    Cool
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

If it was a Xara bug, wouldn't it hit us all then?
    I've never had any such problems neither with Filezilla nor Xara 'publishing'.
    If it used to work before I would check witht he ISP/host if they have changed anything related to their ftp-server.

So no help at all and I'm an idiot. What a great group of folks.

It may very well be a setting but here's the thing. It was working and then it stopped, with no changes made. I published the sites they did fine. I went back to update them and it wouldn't upload. So it can be about three things, a bug, a setting that I am missing that really shouldn't be there because it should be automatic once I put in the FTP info, or, my server isn't allowing it to write for some reason. That's it.

To get all high and mighty and say that it can't possibly be a software issue is ignorant. I will work with support and won't bother with the forums any more. They seem to be about as useless as Yahoo comments.

sorry, but I think you are over-reacting slightly

hopefully support will sort it out - be interesting to see what develops for everyone's information, and I am sure bb2 will keep us informed

good luck
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...