Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Major bug No relief concerning license

I'm sorry to come here angry as heck, but the Xara customer web pages has left me ready to snap.

I started out to retrieve a license number for Designer Pro... not sure why I don't have the email anymore or any record of having a license, but I don't.

After logging in, the closest thing I see that looks like an answer to pursue is the link that says:

How do I download and unlock (or re-unlock) software that I already own?
    That leads to a page with this to say:

The CD you receive when you buy Photo & Graphic Designer and Designer Pro and (optionally) Xara Web Designer, Xara 3D Maker and Menu Maker contains an unlocked copy of the software, so you can install the full version from CD without needing an unlock code. We recommend you install from your CD, and you will only need the serial number which will be printed on the back of the case or the CD envelope and/or in your purchase confirmation email. If you cannot find the serial number then there will be record of it in your Xara account - sign in on our home page and click on Product Information or, for older products, click the link 'For Xara Modules or older Xara products'.
    This information is apparently in serious need of updating or editing, and absolutely aggravating to be fed. Lets take it a bit at a time:

[...] We recommend you install from your CD, and you will only need the serial number which will be printed on the back of the case or the CD envelope and/or in your purchase confirmation email. [...]

The cd I received has NO SIGN of any license number anywhere what so ever. And as I mentioned from the start, I have lost any messages that may have contained it.

But wait, there is still hope if one who foolishly believes this next bit:

[...] If you cannot find the serial number then there will be record of it in your Xara account - sign in on our home page and click on Product Information [...]

OK good, finally some help.

Since I'm already signed in then I do a page search for `Product Information' that I was told to `click on', but of course there is no such link to click on.

A full page text search reveals nothing that says `Product Information'

I do find a link under the `trouble shooter' heading"
    Installing, downloading, and unlocking

And another that says:

Product installation and account queries

OK, finally at last, I'm on the trail.

But no, it is not to be. Both of those lead to the same dialog that walks you thru choosing your product then offers a list of four links to follow"

I wish to install from the download
    I wish to activate and register the program
    I wish to run the program Trial
    I wish to install from the CD

After patiently waltzing thru each and every one.

No, wait that is a bit of lie since I was already pretty disgusted with how poor of a setup and how out of date a setup this is, so by now it was more like: I disgustedly proceeded to be jumped thru those four remaining hoops only to find at the end, and probably after 1/2 hour of being jerked around, that none of those four ever lead to any information about retrieving a license.

It seems like some really poor maintenance of Xara web pages has been allowed to happen.

But of course, NOT with the purchasing end, only the help part is nearly useless.

OK, my rant is over... if anyone feels kindly toward me after all that venting of spleen please tell me how to retrieve my license number for Designer pro?

Default Re: Major bug No relief concerning license

This help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	get-serials.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	80050  
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    This help?
    Err yes... (he said meekly). Maybe one day I will outlive the fitting quote I see below your reply

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools Douglas Adams
    But (regaining a fraction of former ire) If you were to go to home page then click support then login
    you would see something entirely different... that seems like something of a mistake eh?
    http://support.xara.com/index.php?lo...&group=default

Shouldn't a login always lead to the same place?

Oh well, back to outliving the quote...
    Mean time... Ok, no I haven't forgot... an apology is due

Dear Xara, I'm terribly sorry for screeching at you for no good reason. And even more sorry for making a total A__ of my self.

Just to point out, that quote in my sig has been there for some time now ... it wasn't directed at you
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

It would be logical to think that, if it's the same site, logging in would take you to the same information no matter which page you logged in from. But this is not always true. Case in point: The Login option on the Steam homepage is completely different than the Login option on the Steam Support page. In that particular case, the confusion is compounded by the fact that they are not even using the same account database. Why this is the case, I am not entirely sure, except that it provided an avenue of action when my friend's Steam account was hijacked.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com