Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Image Map

I have a question for you fine folks:

Say I want to make a top navigation bar (using an image map, obviously); What dimensions do you recommend I use?
    IP

I have a question for you fine folks:

Say I want to make a top navigation bar (using an image map, obviously); What dimensions do you recommend I use?
    IP

There's no specific limitation on this DJ. Only that you keep your 'target audience' in mind as you design/create your site.

So say you feel your target audience will be using a screen resolution of 1024x768, then you need to design to those specs. You must also understand that a page that is 1024 pixels wide will be too wide for a browser at the same size.

Browsers have 'window chrome' -- i.e. scrollbars and borders. Subtract those and you reach your maximum design width. In general, you should subtract 30-40 pixels from the width of your design; if you wish to play it safe.

The above of course only applies if you intend on using a 'fixed pixel' width for the page content; instead of the much more flexible 'percentage' width attributes.
    IP

Thanks Mark for all your feedback; As always, it's greatly appreciated.

So let me see if I understand what you're trying to say.. It doesn't matter what size my image map is, just as long as it fits the resolution for the viewers. Right? That doesn't sound hard at all, heh. Now, I have another question for ya: Do I have to make two image maps then, one for those who have a 800x600 resolution and one for those who have a 1024x778 or is there a way that I can make one that's inbetween the two? Does that make sense? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks again for your feedback.
    IP

Well that would completely depend on what type of graphic your interface is going to be... i.e. how it's designed and constructed.

There is a way to make an interface fit any screen width, simply by creating a 'resevoir' along the right side. This 'overflow' space is used only to make the iFace look seamless, should the table width be increased or decreased.

In html, you can assign an image as a background for a TD cell. This allows you to create this illusion. Generally, it's easiest to use solid coloured areas of your iFace for this purpose, but it can also be done using any kind of image -- like a small area that's been cut out of the iFace graphic, and made to tile within a table cell.

That help at all? Do you get what i'm describing?
    IP