Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PopUp Picture Issue

Having a new issue happen that hasn't hit me before. Using stock photo galleries in WD5. When you click the photo and the layer pops up with the large image there are spec's on some of them almost like transparent areas. Tiny little spec's on the picture itself but very noticeable. Not all the photos do it. The spec's are not there on the originals either. They just show up when the layer opens the large image. Looks like crap!

Anyone seen that before and know why or have a fix?

Thanks.

Default Re: PopUp Picture Issue

Are the spots on your photos or the photos in the gallery template?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Are the spots on your photos or the photos in the gallery template?
    Thank you for responding. I didn't see someone had or I would have come back sooner.

The spots only appear when you open a photo. The spots are not actually on the photo itself either. I have opened and downloaded the photos from the web host files itself to make sure they weren't corrupted in the upload and they are fine. Also, this ONLY happens in IE( site published )and WD5( preview ). In Firefox( published )it does not happen? I can have the site open in both IE and FF at the same time and in IE a specific picture will have little pixels missing/spots and in FF it is fine???? Does this on my laptop, family computers, etc... not just my work computer.

On the photo pages I used standard photo galleries from the Xara WD5 design gallery. Only change made was to bump the picture image settings to JPEG 100% which should help shouldn't it? For some reasons some of the photos keep displaying with little speckles in them almost as if pixels are missing. Also, it is all scanned photos for whatever that is worth. None of the photos I took with my digital camera seem to do it. All images are the same size( approx 620 X 420 for H or 310 X 500 for V )on my system when selected to go into the gallery as well FWIW.

I just don't understand and it is really bugging me. This is a personal site so I uploaded it anyway and will try to fix it when I can but if this happened on a clients site with a deadline and such I would have problems. Just can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas? This is what I am talking about...

Screen Capture 1:
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...er/sample3.jpg

Actual Photo( downloaded from host files ):
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...er/sample1.jpg

Screen Capture 2:
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...er/sample2.jpg

Actual Photo( downloaded from host files ):
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...er/sample4.jpg

You can check out the web site itself and see for yourself as well. Go to the season log/photo pages. It is only an issue with photos opening out of the WD5 design gallery photo galleries I used. Does not happen on any popup layers I made with photos.

http://gsthunder0.tripod.com

I was wondering if this might have something to do with me doing all of the photo album pages in one document? In other words I have one file called photo albums for all years from 96 - 09. I wonder if I broke it up so each year was it's own Xara document seperate from the others if it might fix whatever is causing this? Probably not as it seems to be some type of IE display issue vs a Xara issue but who knows???

HELP!
    Last edited by gsthunder; 17 February 2011 at 11:06 AM.

Apparently, this is a known opacity bug in IE6 and IE7 - affects the blackest pixels and only JPG, PNGs are fine. The fix is to adjust the black levels on the images that are affected.

Are you using either of those browsers? It would be good to update to IE8 if you are, looks OK to me there and in Chrome.
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 17 February 2011 at 11:58 AM.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    Apparently, this is a known opacity bug in IE6 and IE7 - affects the blackest pixels and only JPG, PNGs are fine. The fix is to adjust the black levels on the images that are affected.

Are you using either of those browsers? It would be good to update to IE8 if you are, looks OK to me there and in Chrome.
    Actually, the issue is there in IE7 and IE8( I have both and view it in both )and the pictures it is doing it on are JPG's as you say. Yes, it does seem to mainly be the very blackest pixels ALTHOUGH it has done it in other areas as well. With that said, I have fixed it.

I started by taking the worst page( 2004 )and making it into it's own Xara document. I did that so I could work on it and preview and export would be faster. Tried adjusting the quality of the JPEG and at times I could get rid of them by lowering the quality. Other times it removed some but made new ones appear when I changed the quality. I tried editing the photo's in my photo program and changing them in the document. This generally reulted in different spots not removal of them.

I was about ready to pull my hair out when I tried something on a whim. I tried swapping the problem images over to PNG and that did it as you said it would( wish I had seen this about 2 hours ago! ). It works fine now. The photos are not quite as good quality on the ones I had to swap now but it is a minimal difference. definitely better to have a lesser quality photo that isn't all pixelated.

Thanks.